need help with stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradermanhomer

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2010
bessemer,pa
hi, i have a woodburner with a 8 inch outlet for the chimney on the rear of it,,,now i have a 6inch supervent stainless chimey all ready installed, ,can i run this 8 inch in to my 6inch chimney or will i half to change the 6 inch to 8 inch,,,,

What kind of stove is it? Some stoves can be reduced from 8 to 6 but most require same size or a little larger. Should say in manual.

?? That doesn't ring a bell. Who makes this stove?

It might work i dont think anyone we will be able to tell you for sure but you really arent supposed to downsize that far and by code not at all unless the manf. approves it i have still not seen one manf. put this as an ok thing to do that is a rather large reduction dropping the pipe size from 6 down to 5.5 will work most of the time but 8 down to 6 could be a problem

I would say try it and find out, better than spending money when you do not have to, some times you just have to try things out.

Given the cost of 8" class A pipe, and the benefit of the current tax credit, it might be a much better deal to replace the stove than to replace the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.