need help with stripped screw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosco

Oct 14, 2010
MA
Hi All,

We just purchased a st croix prescott. When I cleaned it tonight, I noticed that the piece of metal running along the bottom of the stove door was a bit loose. Upon further inspection I found a loose screw. This piece is held on with a screw on either end and a small bolt in the middle. When I went to tighten the screw I found it was stripped. This stove is new and under warranty but I am wondering if there is an easy fix (lock tight or other suggestion). It seems that the door seals tightly but I am worried about running the stove now. Has anyone had an issue like this or can you give me some advice? Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is the metal on the stove and not the screw itself. Why I thought lock tight perhaps. There isn't much metal to bite into.

Did you purchase the stove new? If so, your warantee should take care of it, I hope. Until then, is there room to put a small nut and bolt in place of the screw to tighten it up?

Go to your local, friendly hardware store with the screw and buy a J-Nut or a U-Nut (depending on clearances and offsets) of the proper thread and diameter, you might also need to get a new, possibly slightly longer screw as well. Slide the nut onto the stove, thread the screw in and you are back in business while you wait for the service tech.

Loctite will not aid with damaged threads. Is this screw a machine screw or self tapping tek screw? Either way if you are determined to fix it, a larger tek screw will provide sufficient bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.