Need help with this stove, no idea what it is ... etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corvettedan22

Dec 20, 2011
CT
Hi every one this is my first post.

Right off the bat im going to ask for some help with this insert. I hope I posted in the right area.

Can any one identify it, is there any information and parts available ? This thing works great. My room could be 50 degrees and when I light it up it will go over 90 degrees. It has vents on each side powered by a fan that just stopped working. The front glass also lswings up to access the wood. I do eat a lot of logs but I think I need to put a new seal around the door to prevent the air leaks.

So besides for the basic information. I am either going to be fixing what I think is a broken fan motor, or just taking it out because the wife wants a fireplace in the basement of our ranch. I would then put a wood stove upstairs.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Dan !

photobucket-4978-1324409284993.jpg

Ive seen many o stoves but Ive never seen that model or one that has a glass door that swings up like that. It aint pretty to look at but if its heating like you said in a rather timely manner, fix your blower motor and keep on keepin on I say.

Welcome to the forum Dan! I like your wife's plan as you gain a new EPA stove plus you gain a fireplace!

Ray

dan, welcome as well and I agree with ray.

I'd add, you ever consider an insert? theres some real nice inserts out there that burn clean.

Have no idea what it is. This will get moved to the Classic Stove Forum because it is an old one for sure, and someone there may recognize it

maxed_out said:
dan, welcome as well and I agree with ray.

I'd add, you ever consider an insert? theres some real nice inserts out there that burn clean.

+1 Max there are some beautiful inserts out there as well..

Ray

Hey guys thanks for the input.

I have no desire to spend any money on a insert for the basement. With that being said im just going to fix the fan, or remove it. I plan to put a new stove upstairs so that is where I plan to spend my money.

As far as replacing the fan its a pain because it appears to be all the way in the back. So i pretty much have to remove it to fix it. Then finding a fan could be the next issue. One that can handle all the heat.

I cant beleive that no one can ID this unit. Since there is no name, im going to have to assume its a cheap brand....?

Dan

corvettedan22 said:
Hey guys thanks for the input.

I have no desire to spend any money on a insert for the basement. With that being said im just going to fix the fan, or remove it. I plan to put a new stove upstairs so that is where I plan to spend my money.

As far as replacing the fan its a pain because it appears to be all the way in the back. So i pretty much have to remove it to fix it. Then finding a fan could be the next issue. One that can handle all the heat.

I cant beleive that no one can ID this unit. Since there is no name, im going to have to assume its a cheap brand....?

Dan

Dan,
I agree with you to either repair the insert or remove it making it into a fireplace with a new stove upstairs.. I wonder if that insert is something that was made locally maybe in the 70's?

Ray

corvettedan22 said:

Dan

Back in the 70s and 80s hundreds of companies were making wood stoves. Down to twenty something now. So there is a good chance there weren't many of those made. I have been on here for six years and that is the first one of them I have seen. Whatever the motor is you can be sure that it was a stock motor they were using. You can probably find a replacement online when you get the numbers off of it for reference.

If there is a tag on the insert itself you will find it on the back or side when you pull it out of there.

That could even be a custom or one off. It looks like diamond plate?

With the trim off it looks like there is some serious thought put into it. There is actually large channels for the air to flow. I work on some more pics...

Ok so this is a Pheonix Fireplace Insert. According to the tag on the back. Ever hear of them ? Also is this scrap metal or can i get $200-$500 on craigslist ?

Dan

corvettedan22 said:
Ok so this is a Pheonix Fireplace Insert. According to the tag on the back. Ever hear of them ? Also is this scrap metal or can i get $200-$500 on craigslist ?

Dan

Phoneix, as I remember, had 4 doors - two bifolds.

This looks like one of a kind to me.

corvettedan22 said:

Dan

Well, if it says Phoenix it must be an early model. I sold that brand later on and it had side opening bi-fold doors.

Value, IMHO, is pretty much scrap metal. I personally would not want to sell it to anyone.....but there can sometimes be a market for anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.