Need help with this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markosda

Nov 28, 2013
olney, md
1455876_597015047018430_1531806758_n.jpg I need to heat this formal room and the rest of the open floor plan which is a total of 2500sf (includes the 22' ceilings). I am thinking of getting the Buck stove model 81(heats up to 2700sf) or the model 94NC (heats up to 3200sf). I am concerned about the real high ceilings and all the windows that I have surrounding this area. Will I be able to heat this area adequately? I have two return ducts on the ceiling to the left and to right of the fireplace which the dealer tells me I can use my furnace fan to circulate air to the rest of the house. Any advise, or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

With those ceilings and that glass I would lean only towards freestanding stoves. The furnace might put out cold air by the time it goes through the ducts.

Reactions: markosda
With those ceilings and that glass I would lean only towards freestanding stoves. The furnace might put out cold air by the time it goes through the ducts.
Thank you for your reply. Never knew freestanding stoves put out more heat. The dealer and the installer told me that if I turn on the ceiling fan everything should be fine. I still have my doubts though partly because I never had a wood stove before.

Freestanders produce three sides of heat, while inserts use the blower to throw heat forward. The ceiling fan will help to move the air, but you may get a lot of heat stuck up in those ceilings.

This is going to be a challenge for an insert or freestanding stove. Hot air is going to want to stratify near the ceiling. The ceiling fan will help mix up the air, but it may take more than one fan. The furnace system usually is not designed for low temp air moving. It would only work all the ductwork is fully insulated, which is not common except in modern heat pump systems. You do have a milder climate going for you that may help with the large glass exposure, but I would still figure on the furnace cycling once in a while when burning in cold weather, albeit not as frequently as when the insert is not burning.

If you get an insert go large and get one that projects out onto the hearth. For insert suggestions look at the Osburn 2400, Quadrafire 5100, Pacific Energy Summit, Kuma Sequoia (8" flue required), Lennox Country C310, and the Buck 94. As long as it is fed good, dry wood any one of these stoves is going to help heat the place. Well seasoned wood it the key.

I'm not sure what will fit for a freestander. It might take redoing the hearth. How tall is the fireplace opening?

Last edited:
Yeah I would bring the company back in and have them give estimates for a Freestander. You'll be wasting money with an insert. Your going to have to build heat from the top down.

Yeah I would bring the company back in and have them give estimates for a Freestander. You'll be wasting money with an insert. Your going to have to build heat from the top down.
The fireplace opening is 29" tall at the highest point. (its arched)

Now if I get the Buck stove model 94 that would stick out into the hearth enough for three sides to be exposed. This stove has the bay windows on the sides. Will that be of any help?

With it protruding into the room it will help. Hopefully someone will chime in who has the buck 94

Now if I get the Buck stove model 94 that would stick out into the hearth enough for three sides to be exposed. This stove has the bay windows on the sides. Will that be of any help?

Yes that will help as will a damper-sealing, block-off plate. Insist on this as part of the liner installation.

The fireplace opening is 29" tall at the highest point. (its arched)

A nice freestanding stove could look great there. You would want a large rear-vent stove like a Jotul F600, Quadrafire Isle Royale, Hearthstone Manchester. I would order the stove with the blower option to improve convection. Most rear vent stoves are going to need more than the 29" height to clear the flue. I'm just guessing but it looks like the hearth would need to be lowered by what looks like one stone course or about 6"?

Thank you for expert advise begreen and sons924. It is really hard pulling the trigger on a new stove not knowing for sure if its going to work 100%. I have a couple more estimates coming in so I will ask their opinion as well. We only have two dealers in my county so its kind of hard getting a lot of good opinions. So far you guys have been the most knowledgeable. Thanks again.

Your situation is challenging. Don't except canned BS solutions. If you get a shop that understands the issues and is willing to work with you toward a solution that is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.