Need Help with What Stove? Used?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketernoois

May 31, 2015
Upstate NY
I built a new house and am looking for help on which stove to get. The house is insulated good and about 1000sqft so I don't need a big high btu stove. My dad bought a new Harman for $3300 and he likes it, but would like to get something cheaper since my house is small. I also have electric baseboard in the 2 small bedrooms and living room. The house is one story. Prefer a stove that could last a few days if left on low setting as well as ash cleaning.

thanks

Well a used P43 with a hopper extension would fill that bill. Its ability to idle without running the fan can be major plus. Used pellet stoves in our area have dried up till fall unless someone has to move.

Reactions: johnny1720
I thought like you and was looking for a used stove, and they'll certainly be out there. I decided to purchase a new stove figuring I would save enough where it would pay for itself in a few years. I think that's the way to look at it. I'm as frugal as the day is long but don't regret my purchase one bit. Be on the lookout for a good sale as vendors sometimes are eager to move last year's stock.

I thought like you and was looking for a used stove, and they'll certainly be out there. I decided to purchase a new stove figuring I would save enough where it would pay for itself in a few years. I think that's the way to look at it. I'm as frugal as the day is long but don't regret my purchase one bit. Be on the lookout for a good sale as vendors sometimes are eager to move last year's stock.

Do you mean the newer stoves are more efficient than older stoves? I've read that Harman is one of the best. HomeDepot has an Englander for $1650 but has mixed reviews. I figure i'll burn at most 3 tons. I probably will never run the stove on high settings. The stove will be placed in a small living room/kitchen/ where i'll spend most my time and I'd prefer a small stove in size so it doesn't take up too much room.

I'm more concerned about cleaning time/maintenance

Last edited:
Do you mean the newer stoves are more efficient than older stoves? I've read that Harman is one of the best. HomeDepot has an Englander for $1650 but has mixed reviews. I figure i'll burn at most 3 tons. I probably will never run the stove on high settings. The stove will be placed in a small living room/kitchen/ where i'll spend most my time and I'd prefer a small stove in size so it doesn't take up too much room.

I'm more concerned about cleaning time/maintenance

If you are concerned about cleaning time and maintenance, I'd point you in the direction of a Harman P38 series or equivalent. As an example of that, I have read posts of some owners of these that empty their ash and clean the stove once a month. Try doing that with a wood stove. Pellet stoves have always been an efficient way to heat, whether it be a new or used stove.

Don't be fooled by some of the burn times touted by some stove mfg's. Some will claim you can get 32+ hours out of 40# (a typical bag). Although it may be possible, especially if on a thermostat and if it is fairly mild outside, in the deep of winter it is unlikely. Get a stove with either a large pellet bin to begin with (usually larger rated stoves), or a stove you can put an extension on - which probably leaves out most decorative stoves (like my Hastings - on my main floor).

Love my basement dweller Harman P61a. Although that is too big for your needs, I can tell you that I just bought a used Harman PP38+ (basically a P43) to replace my Hastings with (I just need to swap them out when I am finally done burning for the season). I find cleaning Harman's easier and the ash bin doesn't need to be dumped nearly as often. Plus, I can get an extension for the hopper and should be able to get twice the burn time easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.