Need help with wood boiler controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegct

Sep 30, 2008
CT
I am a new member to this forum and I am looking for some expertise on the aquastat wiring for a OWB/Oil fired boiler system.
Existing system is a hydro-air with Honeywell trol-a-temp air zone damper system. I have a Peerless boiler 182k btu which feeds 2 air handlers and a Phase III triangle tube 40 gal indirect water heater. The boiler system has 3 zone valves in the piping--1 for the hot water 1 for each air handler.
Existing aquastat on the boiler is a Honeywell L8148A which has limit setting from 180 - 240 degrees.
The house is well insulated, all 2x6 framing, 3700sf + a 1000sf heated garage.

The wood boiler is a Woodmaster 5500 which has 200 gal storage capacity. It is piped into the house to a flat plate heat exchanger. I installed the heat exchanger into the return on the boiler close to where it connects to the boiler. This is after the 1 circulator pump in the return.
So the wood boiler pump is always on providing 180 degree water to the exchanger. Whenever there is a call for heat or hot water my pump turns on until the oil boiler internal temp drops below the low limit and then the oil boiler fires as it should to make up what the wood boiler cannot handle or if the wood fire goes out I still have oil heat. My problem is in my existing limit control in the L8148A aquastat. Since the lowest I can set it is 180 degree and the highest I can set my wood boiler is 180 the 2 settings are too close so the wood boiler really does not get a chance to dump its heat to the system before the oil boiler fires. I want to lower the low limit on the oil boiler so it fires at 160 instead of the 180 minus 8. The wood boiler does not go below 175 so with losing a few degrees through the transfer it should produce no lower than about 170 to the oil boiler.
I have a l6006 aquastat which I have installed per the instructions but I am not sure it is doing what I need. I installed it on the return pipe to the oil boiler after the heat exchanger. I wired it per the instructions;
R on 6006 aquastat to L1 on L8148A .
W on 6006 to 3 on the L8148.
B on 6006 to B on L8148.

I think this lets the 6006 control the lower limit so the oil does not fire until the 6006 mounted on the oil boiler return drops below the setting-I have it at 160. It does not seem to be working like that.I have read that I probably should have the aquastat on the supply line from the OWB to the heat exchanger and I can easily move it there but I believe the unit will still not work the way I need it to.

The L8148A is available with an optional 140-240 limit switch-maybe I should bite the bullet and buy one of those.
Any advice on connecting the 6006 aquastat so it actually controls the lower limit would be much appreciated.

I am in my first year of using burning wood . My e-classic is plumbed to a plate exchanger with a circulation pump seperate loop from existing boiler with the aquastat mounted on exchanger inlet from wood boiler to turn pump on rise temperature. existing boiler has a aquastat to oil burner. still playing with temp settings , but oil burner has not run in 3 days. took a nice hot bath tonight w/ my wood heated water.

Thanks for that reply.
I got some good advice and now have the aquastat connected directly to the TT on the burner primary after removing the jumper. This way the oil burner will not fire unless the aquastat senses a drop in temp at my return after the heat exchanger. This way if the wood boiler cannot keep up with demand and the oil boiler temp is below 170 it will fire to help make up the demand. I doubt the wood boiler wont keep up but it is good also because if the fire goes out the oil will fire and heat will work as normal. This is my first season also so I will keep you informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.