Need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lighterup

Jan 17, 2014
Springfield MO
I'm needing help finding safety specs to install a wood stove... file attached... the company went out of business 2 years ago and the spec plate on the stove is to bad to read... I've searched online I've called everywhere and even checked all local shops... It's installed with double wall 8in black pipe from stove to chimney pipe... but I need to know how close to the wall I can safely be cause the corner is 6in from hardey backer board... plus I need specs for insurance.

20131111_220536.jpg

Kindly
Joe

Could you share a front picture of the unit?

From doing some searching it sounds like it could be a silent flame stove? Does it say that anywhere? This company made stoves under that name, however, none with that model number.

I can find a manual for the 1661 and 1662 but not for the 1653 like you have.

Unless you can dig up something that I can't, this thing is going to need to be installed by NFPA 211 guidelines,,, if that is OK with your insurance company.

In general, clearances for this were 36 inches, but could be reduced with wall shields that are non-combustible and were left with a 1 inch air space behind them (screw to the wall but use a 1 inch piece of pipe behind the shield going through each screw, or strips of backer board to keep it off the wall). However, I'm not sure exactly what the specs are for a corner installation are without looking them up,,,, but it'd be best to make sure that installing by NFPA 211 guidelines is OK with them before putting much effort into things.

If the corner is 6 inches away from that hardy and the shield now, and both are sitting directly on top of the paneling, then it is NOT safe to operate the wood stove,,,, as that is far too close. There needs to be spacing between the shield and the wall, and even then, 6 inches may be pushing it.

Good luck,

pen

Reactions: tfdchief
From doing some searching it sounds like it could be a silent flame stove? Does it say that anywhere? This company made stoves under that name, however, none with that model number.

I can find a manual for the 1661 and 1662 but not for the 1653 like you have.

Unless you can dig up something that I can't, this thing is going to need to be installed by NFPA 211 guidelines,,, if that is OK with your insurance company.

In general, clearances for this were 36 inches, but could be reduced with wall shields that are non-combustible and were left with a 1 inch air space behind them (screw to the wall but use a 1 inch piece of pipe behind the shield going through each screw, or strips of backer board to keep it off the wall). However, I'm not sure exactly what the specs are for a corner installation are without looking them up,,,, but it'd be best to make sure that installing by NFPA 211 guidelines is OK with them before putting much effort into things.

If the corner is 6 inches away from that hardy and the shield now, and both are sitting directly on top of the paneling, then it is NOT safe to operate the wood stove,,,, as that is far too close. There needs to be spacing between the shield and the wall, and even then, 6 inches may be pushing it.

Good luck,

pen

WOW Mod you told me more in 5 min than all my research in 5 months! LOL

I was hoping not to call my insurance company yet but I was hoping to put hardy backer and either tile or rock in the whole corner... or maybe if they make double wall 8in flex elbows? I could come away from the walls and just cover the floor.

Also is it possible to repost elsewhere on the forum to reach out to other experts... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Post right here. Ya get'em all.

I'm needing help finding safety specs to install a wood stove... file attached... the company went out of business 2 years ago and the spec plate on the stove is to bad to read... I've searched online I've called everywhere and even checked all local shops... It's installed with double wall 8in black pipe from stove to chimney pipe... but I need to know how close to the wall I can safely be cause the corner is 6in from hardey backer board... plus I need specs for insurance.

Post right here. Ya get'em all.

Attachments

• 20140117_182834.jpg
    20140117_182834.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 20131111_220536.jpg
    20131111_220536.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 173
Status
Not open for further replies.