Need help!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill C

Nov 27, 2014
North Central Arkansas
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum... I live in north Arkansas in Ozarks.
I currently have an earth stove ( cat type). It's very old, few parts available. I have it connected to a masonry flue which is an 8 inch. The thimble into flue is a 6 inch. This has worked great for many years.
Now I'm looking at replacing my stove with a new one. I've been happy with the cat but considering a non cat.
Looking at the buck 74 and buck 85. My concern is will my flue work for the newer stoves???
If you would give me feedback I would appreciate that greatly !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. It may work ok if the there is enough total flue height. What is the approximate distance from the stove top to the chimney top?

On milder days you may miss the cat. A cat stove will burn slower and lower than a non-cat.

I also was considering the buck 80 which is a cat stove also however, It has an 8" flue outlet that I would either need to reduce at the stove or at the thimble . I was thinking about calling Buck and see what they say.
They previously told me on the non cat I could go up in flue size but not down which makes sense. They think the non cat would work ok. But, I see a lot of comments to the contrary. That's why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Thanks for your reply!

It might work ok. There is a loss due to the two 90 deg turns into and after the thimble. That loses an effective 4-6 ft. The minimum for non-cats is usually 15ft, but some stoves are easier breathers and can do with less. I would try it out first. Worst case scenario you may want to drop a 6" stainless liner down the chimney or extend its height.

If you go with the 80 the old thimble can be chiseled out and an new one mortared in. Another option would be the Blaze King Princess or Sirocco 30. Or a Woodstock cat stove like the new Ideal Steel. These cat stoves all have 6" flues.

I looked at the Englander 30 NC but, have heard they are good stoves but, are hard to get drafted...? The Englander looks very well made .

For the price of the Englander you could line the chimney and still have a lot of pocket change left over. Another stove to look at in that class would be the Drolet HT2000,

The Blaze King Princess is going to be the closest thing to the old Earth Stove. Maybe contact them tomorrow and see if they can recommend an active dealer near you. Note however it will be the most expensive too. Take a look at the Woodstock Ideal Steel. It sells for about $2000 and seems like a home run for Woodstock. They sell and ship direct no dealers and have a reputation for good service. The stove comes with a 6 months return if not satisfied. You can completely customize the stove from as simple to complex (visually) as you want. Personally, I like the simplest versions the best.

Be green, if you could tell me, what is the burn time I can expect from a non cat stove?
I get a good 10 hrs from my old cat stove. That's leaving air control about 15 percent open during night

There really are to many variables to give you an accurate number for burn time but with most good larger stoves 8 to 10 hours is not a problem

Be green, if you could tell me, what is the burn time I can expect from a non cat stove?
I get a good 10 hrs from my old cat stove. That's leaving air control about 15 percent open during night
It depends on the firebox size primarily and the wood species being burned. But there are exceptions. In a 3 cu ft non-cat firebox you should be able to get 8-10 hr burns between refills burning good hardwood like oak, locust hickory, hedge, etc.. as long as the wood is fully seasoned. That said it is hard to beat a cat stove burning low and slow. Folks with the Ideal Steel and the BK Princess report 20+ hrs during mild weather. Of course when it's really cold out these times plummet. But it is still reasonable to expect 8-12 hrs then.

This is somewhat relative. Bitter cold for us would be 15 degrees. In Michigan it would be -15 degrees. That's why the large spread on the cold weather burn times.

If I can get that lenght of burn then that will be fine. I would love a blaze king however, as you mentioned ; it's major bucks .
They get super long burn times. The reason I'm looking more to the non cat is simpler operation than the cat. My wife doesn't like having to monitor the stove to make sure that the temp is where it needs to be.

She would love the thermostatic regulation of a BK then. The Sirocco 30 is less expensive. I wouldn't count it out without first finding local pricing.

As for wood , I burn oak & hickory . That's all that's avalable here . I also use a lot of sawmill scrap which is all oak and is well seasoned most of the time.
Our weather is on the mild side for most part. We usually have temps in teen to single digits at night then in mid thirties for daytime highs. That is an average winter here. Some are a bit colder.

Ok thanks !!!! By the way .. Wishing all a happy thanksgiving ! Didn't expect to here from anyone today !

Thanks for the help and opinion be green...

Ok thanks !!!! By the way .. Wishing all a happy thanksgiving ! Didn't expect to here from anyone today !

Thanks for the help and opinion be green...

First, thank you BeGreen. Billc, please call our offices at 509-522-2730. I have hunted the Razorback state and I know we have a few dealers that may be able to help. I'll be in Fairbanks freezing my butt off but you can ask for Colleen.

HappyThanksgiving
Chris

Thank you BKVP... I will definately keep the Blaze King in mind. I will contact Colleen regarding dealers.
As for hunting this year, deer hunting has been slow... Rut has yet to happen.
I fish the FLW Bass Tournament regionals and this year was not at all good for fishing. Hoping for better season in 2015...
Thanks for your response and, come back to Arkansas for another hunt!

Sincerely
Bill C.

Thank you BKVP... I will definately keep the Blaze King in mind. I will contact Colleen regarding dealers.
As for hunting this year, deer hunting has been slow... Rut has yet to happen.
I fish the FLW Bass Tournament regionals and this year was not at all good for fishing. Hoping for better season in 2015...
Thanks for your response and, come back to Arkansas for another hunt!

Sincerely
Bill C.
My buddy in Harrison (actually he lives in Bergman but know one knows where that is) was pro bass fisherman sponsored by Ranger boats. His name is Rodger Patton and he now is a videographer for Real Tree.

Yes sir, I remember the name! I know exactly where Bergman is located. Your friend is just north east of Harrison Ar.
Lol. Small world sometimes...

He's a good ol boy! I took him after the great Wapiti a time or two out here. He got charged by a bruin, very close call, and hasn't come back. He swears all we got is elk and bears that eat elk.

Ha!!!! Sounds like my luck. I've never killed an elk but, a friend gave me some meat from one he killed in Colorado.
It was great. The jerky I made from it was even better. Wasn't Wapiti the Indian name for elk? I'm probably wrong on that... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.