need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lucy80

Oct 27, 2021
delaware
Hello, I'm new to the group and in need of some help. We bought a house a year ago and it has a Montgomery ward franklin heater 686830R in the sun room. It doesn't have the vents attached and we can't find them anywhere. I'm not even sure if its called a pellet stove? My husband wants to use it. Not sure if We would need anything else besides the vents? Or if we should just buy a new one. Are these safe?

20211027_114900.jpg 20211027_123056.jpg

This is a basic wood fireplace. It is not hooked up or connected and can not be burned in like shown. Maybe it was just there as a quaint ornament?
This is not a good heater nor the most controllable. If the goal is to heat with wood there are much better options.

This is a basic wood fireplace. It is not hooked up or connected and can not be burned in like shown. Maybe it was just there as a quaint ornament?
This is not a good heater nor the most controllable. If the goal is to heat with wood there are much better options.
Thanks, It has a hole on the top and also there's a hole in the wall going up a chimney. It just did not have the vents.

The hole in the top is called the flue outlet, the hole in the chimney is called the thimble. Stovepipe connects the two. However, the setup does not look safe from a clearance standpoint. The chimney may also have damage or issues that make it unsafe. This will need a professional on-site to do the cleaning and inspection. Also, check with your insurance company. They may not permit an unlisted stove to be burned.

Reactions: Lucy80
Possibly disconnected prior to home sale because some aspect would not pass home inspection?

My shop’s electricity was disconnected when I bought the place because it violated code in many ways.