Need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeterice

Aug 31, 2008
Grover Beach, Ca.
Hello, I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on getting into the logging buisness, or at least some kind of wood cutting. I am 29 and I work on a saw team for the Vandenberg Hotshots. I have a brand new Stihl 460 chainsaw and I am anxious to use it, Thank you!

This probably isn't the right forum - there are sites dedicated to the logging business. My free advice (and worth every penny, I'm sure) would be to get a job with a local or nearby logging operation to learn specific skills as well as the business itself. Who are the customers? What are the regulatory issues? How are timber sources discovered?

Where we are, there are many almost completely separate markets - hardwood saw logs, softwood saw logs, wood chips, and firewood.

If you can see a niche that's not being occupied, you can move into it. Best way to do that is talk to customers - people who would buy your product or service - and ask them what they want or need that they have a hard time getting.

Good luck - there's a good deal more involved than having a chainsaw and a lot of energy,

Status
Not open for further replies.