Need help!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trafick

Dec 12, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
Hey all,

To make a long story short, I pulled off my old door gasket to my woodstove only to find that the replacement size (7/8") is not to be found in this town. I can find 3/4" but no 7/8". I was thinking of using this and taking off a few of the adjusting washers and fixing it right this spring. What do you think?

Rope is braided so the more you stretch it, the thinner it gets. If you scrunch it up, it will get fatter. Whether you can get away with it or not depends on your stove. My stove has a limited range of adjustment before the door bottoms out.

what type of stove do you have? make model ect. . . .

Sorry I should have told you, it's a Lopi Liberty and the manual says the gasket is 7/8". Maybe I should have checked this first, eh!

Lopi (Travis ind.) has a 7/8 gasket with another gasket inside to make it denser, local lopi or avalon dealer should stock it. If they don't you can have it shipped. You may get away with 3/4 bunched up real thick temporarily, but I wouldn't recommend it long term. You can also tighten the nut on the door cam to try to get a better fit, just watch to make sure the stove isn't pulling so much air around the door that you can't control the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.