need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
i was talking to the guy from Quadrafire and he said if i use a wall barrier with a 1 inch air space ( 24 gauge sheet metal,Micore, tile) my clearences are dropped in half ???????? is that true has anyone heard of this ??

on page 10 of the installation manual it mentions about using 24 sheet metal.

(for some reason you cant click on the link, please COPY AND PASTE)

http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Installation Manuals/man_isleroyale.ashx

please any info would be helpful !!

This note from the manual which you cited:

"** (I) With 52 inch (1321mm) high and 42 inch (1067mm) wide wall protection spaced 1 inch (25mm) from combustible surface.
NOTE: Wall protector must be a minimum of 24 gauge sheet metal with a 1 inch (25mm) air space between sheet metal and
combustible wall. Sheet metal may then be covered with brick or tile."

Must have been an amplifying statement referring to a clearance shown in a diagram or table. What was that clearance? Where on that page above this note do you find "**"? Rick

That is partially correct. It will depend on how the connector is run and whether this is single or double wall pipe. What is planned?

** (I) With 52 inch (1321mm) high and 42 inch (1067mm) wide wall protection spaced 1 inch (25mm) from combustible surface.
NOTE: Wall protector must be a minimum of 24 gauge sheet metal with a 1 inch (25mm) air space between sheet metal and
combustible wall. Sheet metal may then be covered with brick or tile.

I didn't find it in the manual , I talked to a guy on the phone from quadfrafire .

It will almost halve the 16" single-wall requirement if the stove is rear vented. But we need to know more about this installation to determine what is applicable.

stove pipe is top vented double insulated then 90's out through a insulated wall thimble, which my chimney is also double insulated

NFPA 211 says that such a shield as you've described buys you a 66% reduction in CTC...but it's what the manufactuer says that trumps NFPA 211. You really need that manual. Rick

thats the thing its not in the manual i talked to a guy Phil from Quadrafire and he said if i do that with sheet metal, 1 inch air space all measurements drop in half

The note you quoted above is found in the CTC table on page 10 of the manual in the last section, and is applicable to rear vent installations, and indicates that the use of a wall shield will reduce the required CTC of the back of the stove to the combustible wall from 16" to 9". I'm not finding that Quadrafire included any similar provision for reduction of CTC for a top vent installation, which I find a bit odd. Maybe an oversight in manual preparation. In any case, talking to Quadrafire tech support is the right thing to do. Rick

I interpret the install manual as the rear clearance (I) being reduced from 14" to 9"**. With the proper heatshield (see below) And nothing stated regarding reducing any other clearance.

Depending on where you reside, I would print the clearances up and take a trip to your building inspector and/or insurance agent and get the final word from them. If either rejects, then you could be in a world of $$hurt$$ if there were a fire, or if you sell your home and there is an issue.

Quoted from install manual:
"** (I) With 52 inch (1321mm) high and 42 inch (1067mm) wide wall protection spaced 1 inch (25mm) from combustible surface.
combustible wall. Sheet metal may then be covered with brick or tile."

Note that one of their other stoves that I picked at random, 5700 Step Top, there is a comment in the clearances section of the install manual: "NOTE: Clearances may only be reduced by means approved by the regulatory authority having jurisdiction"

That stove had no mention of heat shielding to reduce any clearance...

So here is how I would approach this with the inspector assuming that only the rear clearance needs reduction. Offer to install the heat shield as specified 52" high and 42" wide. This will shield the rear wall in all directions, 18" from the flue collar. Above that point you are in the clearance to combustible spec for the double-wall connector which is 6" for sidewall and 8" for ceiling. As long as the thimble is to proper spec, this should be a safe installation.

I forgot to mention i would be building an alcove to put my stove in ,

Under Alcove measurements (keep in mind he said ALL measurements could be reduced by half)
B- 7"
A- 6.5"
C-14.5 "
D- 9"

That seems awfully close for something that gets 600 to 800 degrees????? I'm thinking I talked to the guy from Quadrafire while he was snorting a couple of lines!! lol

That's a no go I think. I see no allowances for side clearance reduction in the manual. The IR is a strongly radiant heater. Those dimensions are more for a close clearance convective heater. Can you build it wider?

What in your opinion woud be a safe alcove size? And yes there is nothing in the manual that's y I'm nervous! But the tech told me I could drop everything by half! Sounded crazy to me 2

For side clearances, stove width + mfg recommended clearances + 10%. The 10% is because I like to exceed spec when possible. In the case of the Isle Royale this translates to 29" + 36" = 65" + 6.5" = 72.5". If you want to stick to the mfg. spec of 65" then consider using cement board on the side walls and tile. For the back I would go ahead with the ventilated NFPA 211 wall shield but make it look integral by continuing the tiled cement board with the proper ventilated air gap. That should pass for 9" rear clearance using double-wall connector pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.