Need Humidity- what can I put on the BK that will not stain the surface?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgriff

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2007
Northern New Jersey
Humidity down to 29% in house. Need to get that up- I would like to put a pot on it, my Intrepid had a cast iron lid on top, this stove is painted and has a convection deck. Any ideas??

You can use a trivet or run a humidifier separately. I never found a pot of water did enough to get the humidity where I wanted it.

Matt

You can use a trivet or run a humidifier separately. I never found a pot of water did enough to get the humidity where I wanted it.

Matt

x2, a steamer on the stove is neat but not nearly enough.(for my house anyway) I run 4-8 gallons of water a day through my humidifier, no way I'm doing that with a pot on the stove.

Reactions: lopiliberty
Use a cold air humidifier if you can warm air can breed bacteria in the house. Cold air for some reason also just feels better as we have noticed in our house.

Pete

Depending on outside temp, 29% indoor can be a normal level.

Outdoor Temp Indoor Humidity​
-20*............. 15%​
-10*............. 20%​
0*................25%​
10*........... 30%​
20*............ 35%​
Over 20*.... 40%​

Reactions: Malatu
Outside temp is 33. Thanks for the chart-I will pick up a humidifer tomorrow. No use risking damage to the stove finish --and not get the required humidity.

I have a log cabin steamer on the top step of my liberty and it basically does nothing but look good. It takes three or four days for it to empty. Now when I had it on the bottom, it put out some humidity, but boiled dry in 45 min. Like everyone has said go buy a humidifier for the square footage of your house. Because I keep it so hot in here I run a 2400 sqft humidifier upstairs and a 2400 sqft humidifier downstairs but the house is only 2400 sqft total.

Get one with some size to it, or it will add to the constant work load of filling the water container constantly.

Todd 2

Which ones are you guys using with success?

We prefer a whole house evaporative like this ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353835812.522616.jpg

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Status
Not open for further replies.