Need Humidity!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

recppd

Aug 30, 2006
North Shore, MA
I am looking for suggestions on how to add humidity to my house this winter. I use a woodburning insert so I don't have the option of putting a cast iron pot on top. I used a small Holmes humidifier last year but it couldn't really handle the square footage (1200+) and was louder than I liked. So now I'm looking for a new solution. I was thinking of one of those cabinet-sized humifiers, but need some feedback first. My initial thought was that they require a lot of cleaning (evaporative models).

All suggestions are appreciated!

It's tough to get a lot of moisture in the air. We usually hang a lot of laundry in the living room each night (4 kids will generate plenty of laundry) plus use a cool mist humidifier. It's never enough. I also like to hang soaked towels up. There's a ton of surface area in a towel.

I don't like the wick type humidifiers since an alergist of ours mentioned that they grow mold.

I purchased one of those cabinet evaporator type humidifiers from Sears awhile back. They work great to start, but with all that standing water in the bottom, they start to stink. They sell cleaning solution for them, but even that didn't get the smell out. After 1 year I gave it away to someone on craigslist.

Do you have central air? We just run the blower from our furnace (no heat) and that activates the humidifer. Keeps the humidity level right where we want it.

Warren said:
It's tough to get a lot of moisture in the air. We usually hang a lot of laundry in the living room each night (4 kids will generate plenty of laundry) plus use a cool mist humidifier. It's never enough. I also like to hang soaked towels up. There's a ton of surface area in a towel.

I don't like the wick type humidifiers since an alergist of ours mentioned that they grow mold.

Exactly Warren!

In the winter, running the dryer will take warm moist air from inside the home and send it outside, while drawing in cold dry air from the outside.

We dry our clothes inside on racks in the winter. One load a night and they are bone dry in the morning. If you have central HVAC, run the fan in the morning or evening when the family typically showers, and do not use the bathroom exaust fan. Hang up bath towels and let dry.

I like to think I work with nature to be environmentaly responsible and reduce my energy footprint.

Marcus said:
Do you have central air? We just run the blower from our furnace (no heat) and that activates the humidifer. Keeps the humidity level right where we want it.

I knew this was going to be asked. No, no central air. And hanging towels, etc. isn't going to work because the insert is in a great room. Hanging laundry in there wouldn't go over to well... ;)

I was hoping there was an easier solution...I guess not.

recppd said:
I knew this was going to be asked. No, no central air. And hanging towels, etc. isn't going to work because the insert is in a great room. Hanging laundry in there wouldn't go over to well... ;)

"Thank you for having us. The dinner was wonderful and this is an excellent brandy. You must really enjoy that stove too.

Ah! You wear boxers too I see."

BrotherBart said:
recppd said:

"Thank you for having us. The dinner was wonderful and this is an excellent brandy. You must really enjoy that stove too.

Ah! You wear boxers too I see."
LMAO ...............Nice , very nice.

why do people go to such lengths for humidity? in the summer people hate it, in the winter people want it. Humidity is in the single digits for the most part here year around, and i dont do any thing to change it. The worst affect i see is brittle nails and chapped lips. Now this is coming from a guy who grew up with it, so humid that if you bring a book outside the pages curl, the air conditioner in the car blows fog, and every thing mildews. Here, a pice of raw steel left outside would probably stay there for 100 years, down in galveston your brand new car will show rust in less then two years. So why do people like humidity? i must be missing out on some luxury.

MountainStoveGuy said:
why do people go to such lengths for humidity?

It depends on the person, but some people are more sensitive to dry air than others. During the winter, my wife & kids have to use good quality moisturizing lotion every night to avoid their skin cracking painfully.

recppd said:
Marcus said:

There is always an easier solution in the U.S.A

Go to Walmart, buy a humidifier made in China, plug it in, press a button, and presto! You have humidity.

MountainStoveGuy said:
why do people go to such lengths for humidity? in the summer people hate it, in the winter people want it. Humidity is in the single digits for the most part here year around, and i dont do any thing to change it. The worst affect i see is brittle nails and chapped lips. Now this is coming from a guy who grew up with it, so humid that if you bring a book outside the pages curl, the air conditioner in the car blows fog, and every thing mildews. Here, a pice of raw steel left outside would probably stay there for 100 years, down in galveston your brand new car will show rust in less then two years. So why do people like humidity? i must be missing out on some luxury.

A couple we know couldn't wait to retire and leave here and build their dream home in Auburn, CO. They got it all done and had to sell the huge new house in less than two years and move back because the air was so dry she was in pain breathing all the time.

Anton Smirnov said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
why do people go to such lengths for humidity?

It depends on the person, but some people are more sensitive to dry air than others. During the winter, my wife & kids have to use good quality moisturizing lotion every night to avoid their skin cracking painfully.

Yes, I agree. It depends on the person. I used to have problems with chapped lips and dry skin. My mom told me to start drinking more water. Now I no longer have chapped lips or dry skin. Just drink clean water. Worked for me.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.