Need info on a breckwell p23 pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm

Feb 21, 2006
HI

I just bought and installed myself a breckwell p23 pellet stove........and user tips??......seem to be having a problem with the damper setting........where should it be to get the best heat? Especislly on low settings.

Thanks Scott

Here is what i posted to your question in gardenweb. You will get more responces here in this forum.

You pretty much need to adjust the air for every stove setting, its not the most user friendly stove out there. I would put it on a milivolt thermostat and find the sweetspot on the burn and let it do its on thing.
Its best to run the unit on the lowest possible setting that will satisfy your heating needs. The thermostat will help you dial that in. What did your dealer have to say?

MSG gave you some good advice. I don't believe that Breckwell offers a remote thermostat option though you can use a wall mounted thermostat like MSG said. A thermostat is basically a switch so if you got a remote thermostat and were careful in your placement of the reciever then it would probably work fine (in theory). The damper setting is a trial and error thing and varies from stove to stove. Typically I recommend my customers run theirs wide open to begin with a make small adjustments judging their effect over a matter of hours or even a day. Like MSG said you need to find the "sweet spot" for your prefered heat output setting and chimney configuration.

Not the temp but the activeness of the flame. When feeding on low you will be feeding around 1.5 lbs per hour and will typically need to restrict the flow through the stove more with the damper. This will prevent the stove from drawing excessive combustion air through the pot and "blowing" the stove out. When burning on high, around 4-5 pounds per hour, usually you'll want the damper open more to ensure a nice active efficient fire. Basically the damper enables you to control you air to fuel mix for optimum efficiency. Let us know how you like the Breckwell. I carried them for about 6 months back in 00-01 I quit carrying them because of a warranty issue, but I have heard good things about them on the board.

You would need to confirm that the p23 is a milivolt system. Im almost shure that it is. You can get remote wireless thermostats that are milivolt. Accuman makes one, so does skytech. Im a fan of the Accuman. Make shure you get the remote therm where the reciever end is AC, one less thing to put batteries in. As far as adjusting air, you want a very active flame, no lazy, whispy flames. But not so active that it burns all the pellets out of the pot before it can re fuel itself. You should not be piling up pellets in the pot either, you want the system to be keeping up with its self.

so far I I like the breckwell....but still trying to get temp to optimum level......any help?

Have You tried going to your dealers showroom asking your dealer who sold you the unit to show you on their burning unit?

Yes still having problems finding a good damper setting.....Is it ok if the fire goes way down on a low setting or do I want to keep a good flame?

Thanks
Scott

You'll want to beable to maintain your exhaust temperature and not "blow" your fire out but there should be a signifigant difference between high and low flame. Sometimes you wont have just one optimum damper setting, you may have to mark your damper handle as you find the settings for high and low. Wind or no wind. etc. It takes some burning.

scottm said:
Yes still having problems finding a good damper setting.....Is it ok if the fire goes way down on a low setting or do I want to keep a good flame?

Thanks
Scott
DID YOU GO TO YOUR DEALERS SHOWROOM AND SEE THE FIRE ON LOW?
you might have the correct fire but just dont know it.

But if you got the stove from some ONLINE dealer then you are out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.