Need info on stove pipe from stove to "dripless smoke pipe"...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
...coming out of my ceiling.

I've almost finished the complete installation of Metalbestos 6" double-wall stainless pipe from my ceiling thru the roof and up, but now I've run into an information drought on HOW to connect my stove collar to the dripless pipe hanging down from my ceiling. Metalbestos apparently doesn't carry that product.

The dripless pipe (as Metalbestos calls it) is intended to slip-fit INSIDE a stove pipe, or so my dealer says, but it measures darn close to 6", as does my stove collar. Anything on-line I've looked at doesn't detail the male-female relationship at the dripless connection.

The dimension from my stove to the dripless pipe above is almost exactly 48"

Stove is a Harmon Oakwood. Can anyone tell me "this product from this manufacturer is what you need"?

ALSO, now that I'm on the subject, gimme some opinion on double-wall or single wall stove pipe. I know about the short-life of the single-wall, but heck, it's only 48", I'm not worried about replacing it every few years, I want to know about draft effect, or warming of the room, etc. My setup is already laid out for single wall (clearances).

The way I understand it, you need a piece of pipe coming up from your stove for the adapter to slide into. If the lengths don't work out, I was told you can cut the male end of the adapter but make sure it is long enough to slide a few inches into the pipe coming up from the stove.

there should have been an adapter placed at the bottom of the first section of chimney before if was set in the ceiling support. This should have a male crimped fitting hanging down for the stove pipe. Usually best to use a slip joint section that attaches to the dripless connector and slips inside the next section of stove pipe. This allows for assembly and disassembly . As far as the stove end the stove pipe should go in to the stove crimp down. Some stoves require an adapter section - depends on actual measurement. Check with Simpson for the stove adapters. If you go to the Metalbestos site and select the Platinum chimney download the brochure on page 9 they show 2 different "smoke pipe adapters" depending on what type of chimney you have. Hope some of this helps.

A section of stove pipe crimped end down should slide over the dripless adapter (mine is about 12" below the ceiling box). If you have 48" you may have to shorten a 48" pipe down a little more than the height of the collar on the stove. If it's too tight a fit you can buy a telescoping section that will go on easily.

My dripless adapter is scratched up from sliding the pipe up then setting it down and screwing it to the collar of the stove, high temp flat black takes care of it.

Garett

Thanks for the info.

But nobody threw their $.02 about single-wall vs double. I just discovered that Metalbestos DOES supply big $$ DW stove pipe, and I think that's the way I might go. Since I installed Metalbestos all the way up so far, thier system should tie into mine down to the stove.

Single wall stove pipe will give off more heat into the room. Double wall might increase the draft a little if needed. DW decreases the STOVE PIPE to wall clearance but also check the STOVE to wall clearance. With a Eng 13, the STOVE to wall clearance increases with DW.
I bought Heat Fab single wall (22 ga, welded) which is part of Selkirk .

Status
Not open for further replies.