need information on chainsaw chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
I have a stihl ms 310 with a 20in bar, I been looking online trying to find a cheaper place to purchase cains for my saw, My local dealer wants about $ 28.00 bucks for a yellow tab chain, I was looking at the oregon brand full chisel chains for my saw and they are half the price of what i have been paying. my question is are these oregon chains good chains and will i be able to put a oregon chain on a stihl bar or will i need to purchase a oregon bar. were do you guys buy your chains online any information would be of a great help.

Oregon chain can definitely be installed on a Stihl bar. Just ensure you stay with the same pitch and gauge and get the proper number of drivelinks on the new chain and everything will fit.

Oregon chain is good chain, no question. If you file your own chains you may find it a little softer and easier to sharpen than Stihl chain. Oregon has a good selection of chain for various purposes and needs, reasonably priced too.

I find most time when buying bars or chains online that after all the shipping is added I can run to the dealer and get a stihl part for the same price..

We joke around and say that yes a Oregon chain is half the price of a stihl but you will buy two Oregon chains for every one stihl....

Also check Amicks - they have a good deal on chains if you get several - they use one of the priority mail "flat rate" packages and put as many loops in as will fit - I think it's up to 4 loops per... Saves a lot on shipping, and they have really good prices on the chains themselves.

Gooserider

Ridgerunner, Lots of good suggestions above. I will assume you now have a Stihl chain on your MS310. If so, here is a link to the Stihl site for you to determine exactly what chain you have: http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf

The link describes how to determine the pitch, gauge, and the number of links of that chain needed for your 20" bar. Once you have that information you can go to the Oregon site via the link provided by bogeydave. Then visit amickssuperstore.com or Bailey's http://www.baileysonline.com/default.asp The pitch is important because the number of teeth on the saw's drive hub are made for a specific pitch of chain.

Give the sales rep. the info on your current chain and he will set you up with your choice of whatever chain they sell. I am going to GUESS you have a Stihl chain with a pitch of .375 or 3/8" (they are both the same) with a .050 gauge. The gauge is the width of the chain's drive link that rides in the groove of the bar. The gauge of the bar must be the same as the gauge of the chain. Hope this helps at least a little. John_M

My first non safety full chisel chain was an Oregon. It was like day and night compared to the Stihl safety chain that I had on my 029. The cut was nice and smooth, and made the saw feel more powerful. The Oregon chain is easy to keep sharp with a quick hand file touch-up every two tank fulls. I bought a Stihl yellow full chisel chain a couple months ago and it is just as smooth and powerful as the Oregon, but after 4 tank fulls, it is just as sharp as new. I think the Oregon was about $20 and the Stihl was about $30. Does that help any?

They all seem to have advantages. Woodland pro one I use alot manly on the 28in. because thats where you will find the most dirty wood.

Flatbedford said:
My first non safety full chisel chain was an Oregon. It was like day and night compared to the Stihl safety chain that I had on my 029. The cut was nice and smooth, and made the saw feel more powerful. The Oregon chain is easy to keep sharp with a quick hand file touch-up every two tank fulls. I bought a Stihl yellow full chisel chain a couple months ago and it is just as smooth and powerful as the Oregon, but after 4 tank fulls, it is just as sharp as new. I think the Oregon was about $20 and the Stihl was about $30. Does that help any?
I have never owned safety chain but otherwise my experience with how much better Stihl chain holds an edge over Oregon is similar. I can buck up 6 full cord on a single filing. A chain will last me for years so a small price difference matters not. I think the OilMatic feature will also make the bar last longer.

Penny wise, pound foolish...

I still run the 20" bar that came with the saw in '96.

What technique differences are there in using a safety chain vs a yellow chain. I already practice safe saws but not standing directly over the saw as I cut. Anything else in order watch out for kick back, which I understand is the main danger of a yellow chain.

I have 3 Oregon 3/8 chains for my 5100s , my local dealer sells them for 12 bucks each. You can't beat that with a bat.

WoodButcher

Kenster said:
What technique differences are there in using a safety chain vs a yellow chain. I already practice safe saws but not standing directly over the saw as I cut. Anything else in order watch out for kick back, which I understand is the main danger of a yellow chain.

There shouldn't be ANY... Remember that the misnamed "safety chain" is only a kickback "reducing" feature, not an elimination feature, so you should be using the SAME cutting practices no matter what kind of chain you are using...

Given that even a "yellow" chain, or the equivalent "non-safety" chain from other brands, has some kickback reduction design elements, just less than a green chain, essentially it is a question of a slight difference in the odds - IF you stick the "danger zone" of the tip into something, a yellow chain would be slightly more likely to kick back, but a green chain could also kick back, so you shouldn't be doing bad practices with EITHER chain...

The only significant difference in performance is that a yellow chain is sometimes better at plunge cutting, something the bumper links on a safety chain tends to reduce it's ability to do.

Bottom line, is both styles of chain require the SAME safe saw handling practices, and should be used with the same sorts of protective gear.

Gooserider

Stihl chain does indeed rock. If you can get a reasonable price on it- buy it. How many chains do you go through? Home users don't burn one in a couple years- so 10 bucks a year is a deal for high quality, IMO.

Nothing wrong with Oregon either, but may require more frequent sharpens.

I picked up a Yeller chain at the local Agway yesterday. I was picking up files and just for giggles I asked if they had any chisel chains. He says, "That's all I carry." When my jaw returned to it's normal position he said that's all anybody wants. After tax the cost was mid 20s. I'll report back if they stay sharp longer than oregons as that is what is on the saw now. I'll run a file over it to sharpen it and then run it until dull, swap chains. I hope I don't run out of wood to cut. That would be bad... :D

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I I hope I don't run out of wood to cut...
How much wood you got? I can buck 6 cord on one filing of my Stihl RS chain.

golfandwoodnut said:
I found Stihl 20 inch chains on EBAY for around $14

+1

Just bought two 16" new Stihl chains for 24.50 + 10.25 S/H = 34.75/2 = $17.38 each.

LLigetfa said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Aww but very clean wood..

smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Well, of course! That's all I buy. Winter cut with feller-buncher, not skidded through mud.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Well, of course! That's all I buy. Winter cut with feller-buncher, not skidded through mud.

lol that would be some fun sawing!

I got sick of the high prices that Stihl was getting for there saw chain quite a few years back . I spin my own and have a couple of hundred ft rolls of .325 and3/8 Stihl RM and RS chain . I should never have to buy another chain again in my life .

LLigetfa said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Nowhere near that much. I guess I'll have to go looking for more to cut. ;)

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.