1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need information on Fabco (1988) "Signi-fire" fireplace insert

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by riverwoman, Oct 22, 2012.

1. riverwoman

riverwoman New Member

Loc:
    Arnold, CA (Sierra Nevada Mtns)
    This is a great insert that my dad installed in 1988. He's now passed and I've not his expertise. This unit is equipped with an automatic blower with "quiet" fans that come on when the fire reaches a certain temperature. The fans should be oiled (according to instructions) several times during the fire burning season. The fans are on behind glass door panels on either side of the large stove door. I can unscrew the screws to open the door and oil the fan on the open door side of the large door opening, but on the hinged side of the opening the screws are blocked by the door edge. I do not know how to either lift the large door off it's hinge or somehow otherwise open the side door. I don't think the left side fan has ever been oiled and is now making quite a lot of noise if I use it. (btw: instructions say to oil the fans, but no how to do that or even where they are)

Thanks.

OK. Hours later I figured it out. You must take the large door off. That can be done by pulling the D-not-quite-a-ring thingy from the top of the door post and wa-la, lift the door up and take off. THEN the side screws are accessible. Oiled the fan, built a fire and am now just waiting for it go get hot enough to turn on the auto fans. BTW. there was another question on FABCO about the knob that swivels above the large door. It controls the damper, up and to the right to light the fire, straight down once it's burning well. It really reduces the airflow.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CAxpmom

CAxpmom New Member

Loc:
    Elk Grove, CA
  3. CAxpmom

CAxpmom New Member

Loc:
    Elk Grove, CA
    We just purchased a home with a FABCO Signi Fire insert. I believe it is a 1988 model. I am looking for an owners manual for the stove. Does anyone out there have one? I have been searching and can't seem to find anything on line. Please help!
  4. BKVP

BKVP Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Our company purchased Fabco and while we never made the SigniFire, I may be able to get a manual from my archives. No promises but if you call 509-522-2730 next week after 6:00 a.m., I will dig through my files.

Chris

5. CAxpmom

CAxpmom New Member

Loc:
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thank you so much Chris! I will call in the morning.
  6. Gary Janssen

Gary Janssen New Member

Loc:
    Crestline, CA
    I also just purchase a house with the Faco Signi-Signi stove insert. Does anyone know where I can purchase new blower fans, as the blades have failed. I do however have the installation and user manual I am willing to scan it and email it out. I will say though it has minimal information like oil the motor twice during the burning season but it doesn't tell you where or what to oil. I can be contacted at "lablim@hotmail.com".
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Pull the fan and motor out and take it to an electric motor shop. They should be able to either repair or replace the motor and can show you where the lubrication holes are. If you want to DIY, we'll need some close up pictures of the fan, the motor and any identifying labels on the motor.
  8. Gary Janssen

Gary Janssen New Member

Loc:
    Crestline, CA
    I pulled motor and fan today and figured I would take it to Grainger's and see if they have a fan blades that will work. The fan blades in there now are 7" plastic, I think the heat finally go to it. I will be looking for a metal replacement. I think the motors are in good shape. Thanks for the response as that gives me some other options.