Need Information on Flame XTD 1.9 Insert Fast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlegs

Feeling the Heat
Long time reader ...first time poster. The members here seem to have a clear picture of all things wood burning so I thought I would take a chance and ask for some assistance:

I have been mulling over replacing the 20+ year old insert in our fireplace for a over a year now. While I have been away travling for my job, a local contractor we have been working with (chimney sweep and inspection), is recommneding we do the replacement with a brand new Flame XTD 1.9

He is using a wholesale outlet place called Copperfields to get the insert and all the direct connect componets if that matters.

The prob is I cannot find any reviews for the these units anywhere....can anyone help me with a review for the Flame XTD 1.9

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Geez...I thought you were having a fire or something!

Do a Google search for flame xtd-i and you'll get a whole bunch of possible sites for useful information on the insert (assuming he's talking about the insert). If he's talking about the freestanding flavor, just leave the "i" off the search. Good luck. Rick

Well the contrator has the wife convinced this is the way to go...and there is NOTHING out there on these thing!

She and the contractor want to place the order in the morning so it's kinda like there is a fire...in my wallet if the Flame XTD 1.9 is a POS.

I like my contractor,: I just dont know about the insert?????????????

@fossil...thanks for posting. I did a bunch of googling and I can find the specs just not much else. If you want a Napoleon there are 100's of review to help you decide but nothing on the Flame. I was hoping someone here might have experience or know someone who does.

neumsky said:
Geez...I thought you were having a fire or something!

+1. I thought you were calling 911 and posting at the same time. ;)

No clue on the insert, sorry.

Yeah, I took a longer look around and I see what you mean. I've never even heard of the stove before, so I'm afraid I'm useless on this one. What's driving the perceived imperative to make an immediate decision? Rick

@ Rick

The contractor is ordering two other of the same units from Copperfields and he says I'll save 200 by piggybacking off the order.

If you have been mulling for a year, I would not be quick to rush into the insert your contractor is recommending. Continue to mull and do some research. You will be the end user and will have to burn in the unit you decide on. Posting here is a good place to start.

Sorry I cannot make a recommendation< but I would not be quick to rush into a purchase like this. Good luck.

Has anyone heard of or delt with Copperfields. I think they are an online wholesale outlet?

Copperfield's belongs to "Sooty Bob" Daniels . Kind of a legend in the chimney supply business. A reputable supplier. As to the XTD there are a couple of members here that have the XTD 1.5 and seem to like them except for the small firebox. It is a "value" stove but should make heat just fine.

Just caught the "direct connect" part. Don't even do a direct connect in a masonry chimney. Line that sucker all the way to the sky.

@BrotherBart...thanks for the inte on Cooperfields .

I did find the the Flame XTD inserts were being made by Stove Builders International (SBI) of Onterio Canada. I think they also make stoves/inserts under the following names:

Osburn Drolet PSG Enerzone Valcourt Century Heating

Anyone have any input on these models? It may be a leap, but if SBI builds these stove/inserts and they are respected, maybe the Flame models could be trustworthy also?

Add the stove name to your thread title, it may create some more looks by people who have experience with these stoves.

JeffersonCoKs said:
@BrotherBart...thanks for the inte on Cooperfields .

I did find the the Flame XTD inserts were being made by Stove Builders International (SBI) of Onterio Canada. I think they also make stoves/inserts under the following names:

Osburn Drolet PSG Enerzone Valcourt Century Heating

Anyone have any input on these models? It may be a leap, but if SBI builds these stove/inserts and they are respected, maybe the Flame models could be trustworthy also?

The SBI stoves seem to be well received here.

rdust said:
Add the stove name to your thread title, it may create some more looks by people who have experience with these stoves.

I did it.

Don't need everybody thinking he has his house on fire. :coolsmirk:

@ Bart.... do you guys know what an "FNG" is? I'm feeling like that. Thnaks for changing the title. :>)

JeffersonCoKs said:
...do you guys know what an "FNG" is?...

You're talking to at least a couple of vets here. You're among friends, relax. :coolsmile:

I had a flame pellet stove, they are made by SBI, its a no frills stove but worked well. The members on here that have bought the wood versions seem to be happy with them. I believe the Drolet is the same stove. The 1.9 is the bigger of the two but it still a small box so keep that in mind. For the money I would day they're ok.

I have had the 1.5 for 2 seasons now, they are well built stoves, can't complain about them other than the fan rattles the tray that sits on the ash lip every once in a while, just gotta smack it and it goes away. I would for sure do a full liner top to bottom.

For a tube burner it gets the job done. You never did say how many feet you are looking to heat with it.

Well I got home just in time to slow the contrator and I think I have talked the wife into going a different direction. We are ordering an Osburn 2400 insert. I have seen some very positive reviews and I like the size and long burn times. Any suggestions on purchasing?

The Osburn 2400 is a very large insert (3.2 cf firebox) made by SBI which also makes the Flame. Just make certain it will fit in your fireplace. It is a square box and does not taper like many fireplaces do towards the rear so I would make certain you measure correctly. There are several members here with the 2400 and really like it. You find the 2400 online at very good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.