Need input on the Enviro Omega

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye316

Dec 8, 2007
Amsterdam, ny
The dealer I am getting the Omega from is unable to keep one on the floor to show me. Can someone give me the pros and cons. Is it that loud? Any odor, how hard to clean, does it use alot of pellets, put out good heat. I am alittle angry that they cant keep it on the floor but I guess that means its pretty popular and new.

I think the stove is to new fro anyone here to have a Review
Im the only person here I think that has one

and the stove is great and most people that post on the forums are people that are having problems with their stove.
or looking for a stove.
Not to many people come here to say
I bought this stove and it is just great.

Use of pellets is how HOT YOUR WANT it.
It is not the stoves fault you will burn 2 bags a day
the stove will only burn the pellets as fast as you set the feed rate.
and how much area you have to heat and how high you set your heat setting and or thermostat.
I have been burning my stove on the 3 setting that is medium.
Im heating 1900 sq feet.
my stat is set at 72 deg the stove on ON OFF MODE
It finally started getting cold here and I have been using about one bag in 24 hours.
I have used 25 bags so far and have not opened the door
the glass is clean other that a 2 inch hallo around the top and sided of class.

the only noise I hear is the Clanking of the self cleaning burn pot mechinisim but this not all the time.
all other blower noises are just like any other Enviro pellet stove

Dear Deadeye,

What you need to do is to see what the wattage ratings of the 3 motors in your pellet stove add up to. If the 3 wattage ratings are below 800 watts, which the cobra inverter is rated for, then the answer is yes, the cobra inverter will work, for 4 to 8 hrs, depending on the size of the battery you are drawing down the juice from.

CALCULATING WATTAGE RATING P=EXI
POWER, in watts= e voltage times I current

120 volts ac times 2 amps=240 watts
12 volts dc times 6 amps= 72 watts---- but batteries use 13.8 volts dc to charge so 13.8 vdc times 6 amp charge rate=82.8 watts

Most motors will have a sticker or engraved into the motor's sheet metal or even in the owner's manual, on the ordering replacement parts page or specifications page & it should say the volts, amps and wattage of the motor, although often they wont put the wattage, thinking that you already know the above formula & can calculate it for yourself.

So, you will need to have some way to recharge the battery during a power outage
like hooking it back up to the car & recharging it, but the battery wont have enough electricity in it to start the car, you would need another fresh battery to start the car.

Or , better yet, buy a two cycle generator, 1 hp I think from the internet. I see them from $100.oo to $200.oo . They are not much of a generator, but enough to run an electric drill or sawz all or recharge a battery. Maybe they put out 500 or 1000 watts.

Myself, I buy a 5 hp 4 cycle 4,ooo watt generator. I think I paid 500.oo or 600.oo
for it, but I have 3 buildings that I have to keep oil burners going in case of a outage, so that water pipes dont freeze & cause $12,000.oo damage.

I would have to run from 1 building to the next & run the oil burners off the generator to get up to 80 * & then go on to the next building & etc getting back to the first building again inside of 6 hours & etc for the duration of a wintertime outage.

The larger gen will let you also run a few lights,tv, micro wave & refrig & stove , remembering to keep the total load within the wattage rating of the generator.

Now, if there is anything that I forgot to tell you, I cant remember what it is, so you will have to pm me or post another question.

I did remember something! Just because you chain down your generator, during a power outage, does not mean they wont steal it with a pair of chain cutters.
But don't run the generator inside unelse you vent the exhaust outside with a flexable rubber exhaust vent hose, which you can get at auto zone or advanced auto parts.

Power generators during an outage is like leaving 10 gallons of gasoline on the curb; that is , gone in 60 seconds, like the movie!

My Omega says on the label
4.2 amps Total power usage
SO
120*4.2
so just over 500 Watts
You want to be sure your inverter can handle about 700 Peak watts for 500 watts of normal consumption.
There are Inverter battery pack you can get for about $400
I have 3 of them I use them for a lot of things and camping.
I ran a pellet stove for about 4 hours on one.
You can get a MOREPOWER Batter pack to extent the life. But I just hook two of the inverters together.

A generator is going to give you more power for other appliances and last longer.
or you can get a small 1000w Inverter/Gernerator that will run about 4 hours on a Quart of gas.
from Yamaha.

hearthtools said:
My Omega says on the label
4.2 amps Total power usage
SO
120*4.2
so just over 500 Watts
You want to be sure your inverter can handle about 700 Peak watts for 500 watts of normal consumption.
There are Inverter battery pack you can get for about $400
I have 3 of them I use them for a lot of things and camping.
I ran a pellet stove for about 4 hours on one.
You can get a MOREPOWER Batter pack to extent the life. But I just hook two of the inverters together.

A generator is going to give you more power for other appliances and last longer.
or you can get a small 1000w Inverter/Gernerator that will run about 4 hours on a Quart of gas.
from Yamaha.
Forgot the link for the inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Technologies-Powerpack-500-Watt-802-1500/dp/B00005RHQQ

deadeye316 said:
do you have a thermostat hooked up to it. I noticed the omega only has a up and down for the thermostat. How hard is it to hook up a external thermostat
'

If you are talking about the UP and DOWN bottons on the control board that is NOT a thermostat
that is the FEED RATE setting. Just like most Pellet stoves it does not fuction on Tempature
that sets the Rate of feed.

A Remote control thermostat or a wired Thermostat set back or normal just connect to the two jumper wires on the control board.

yes
Most 24 volt or milliavolt control will work with most pellet stoves
it is just a 2 wire Break a connection systems
the thermostat opens a connection and puts the stove in the mode.
Some stoves are on and off mode
Some stoves you can choose On and off
or
Hi Low

the two are different
On and off Mode is
when the thermostat is not calling for heat (OPEN circuit)
The control board will put the stove in shut down mode.
Depending on the Brand the stove will go into a Low mode for a set time (Normally about 30 minutes)and wait for the thermostat to call for heat (close the circuit)
If it does not call for heat it will shut down the stove.
Then when the stat calls for heat (closes the Circuit) again it will go into start up mode.
the stove will feed at the set Feed rate you set on the control board.

Hi low mode ( my Recommended method if you do not have a self cleaning burn pot)
Blackwells and Enviro use the same control board manufacture and have an option to go
Hi/low
On/off
or Manual
ither by a switch on the board or a jumper on the back of the control board.
The Hi/low mode
when the Stat is not calling for heat it will but the stove to the Lowest setting possible and turn the room air fan down to low.
When the stat is calling for heat the stove will feed at the feed rate you have the control board set at.

When running a thermostat on a pellet stove I say to NOT run the feed rate below the medium setting
With the stat the stove will go to low then go to the setting you set the board when it calls for heat.
this will keep the stove running at a Hoter fire and keep the stove cleaner.

the past 4 years with the Windsor/Empress (35K BTU) I set my control board on the 5 (highest feed rate)
and used it on hi low mode. I set my Wireless thermostat to 72 and put in on top of my refrigerator and never touched it.
I had to clean the burn pot every 1 - 4 days and a good cleaning every 1-2 weeks.

Now with the OMEGA 60K BTU
I have it on ON AND OFF mode
Control board set to 3 (medium setting)
It just started to get cold here 15-25 Deg and night (30-60 deg days )and have burned about 30 bags of CRAP Reject pellets from my store.
Heating 1900 sq feet.
I have not opened the door on the stove yet to clean
My door has a 2" haze around the glass on the top and sides.
I have lots of family coming New years week end so I think Im going to do my first cleaning sometime this week.

There are several Wireless thermostats
we sell the Skytech http://www.skytechsystem.com/
They are a great company that GIVES the end user a toll free # to call if they need help with the control.
the even have a RED card in the box that says STOP DONT CALL THE DEALER call us for help.
I have heard from my customers that they have sent them new Parts FREE of charge and I did not have to deal with it.

we sell a lot of the TSR2 Digital wireless wall stats.

but the only problem we have it is take 3 volt button batteries and they EATS them up.
have to change them 2 to 3 times a year.

You can connect most wired wall stats to
Battery operated SET BACK or just a plain Jane mechanical thermostat
You have to run 2 wire 18 Gage thermostat wire.
DO NOT USE PHONE LINE

So a thermostat would be the way to go?

Also Should I buy the thermostat and have the installer do it. I am getting the stove installed 1/9/08 what a start to the new year

deadeye316 said:
bump also how often do you need to clean the omega
Just cleaned my stove for the first time in 10 weeks and 35 bags of pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.