Need input on value of Hearthstone stove, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc7519

Jul 28, 2014
VT
Hi,

We are new to woodstoves, but are looking to put one in our basement this fall to supplement our heat through our cold Vermont winters. Our neighbor has offered to sell us hers which was in the house when she bought it, including the chimney and piping, etc, as she won't use it. Since neither of us know the exact model or age of the stove, we aren't sure what would be considered a fair price, so we are looking for some expert opinions on what we should offer her. I have included several photos to hopefully give you all a decent idea of the condition and maybe you can help confirm the age and model as well?

It looks to be a Hearthstone Heritage, and we are guessing it is about 10-15 yrs old, though not entirely sure. Hopefully the photos will help. We cannot find a serial number plate on the stove to know for sure.

Any input on suggested price for the stove, chimney, etc., as well as things to look for, or anything else we may need to know in buying a used stove would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 330
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 263
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 287
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 266
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 265
  • photo7.JPG
    photo7.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 274
  • photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 263
  • photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 269
  • photo10.JPG
    photo10.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 247
  • photo12.JPG
    photo12.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 256
Hi KMC, can't see clearly, but ashpan and side door lead me to think its a Hearthstone 2 or American Harvest (predecessor to the Heritage). It should have a sn and model scribed on the rear on the stove if no label is attached to her. Value is normally around 200-400 dollars, depending on condition. Good luck.

It certainly looks like the H-II except the front door, I think the H-II had a double door window... could be wrong. The interior oval baffle looks like the h-ii too, but I don't think it is. I think its 88-95 vintage, H-II/Am Harvest/early Heritage. Bear in mind that a lot of parts for these stoves are no longer available from Hearthstone.

I don't see the secondary air pipe that the hearthstone Heritage has .

These stoves still bring high prices if in excellent condition .

They take a while to heat up but once going they work excellent .

Definately NOT an H 2, looks more like an American Heritage which I don't believ to be an actual airtight stove! It was an attempt to skirt EPA reg.s early on by having a fixed air source as well as a draft control. Someone else can maybe confirm? I wouldn't try it as a basement stove. Just go to Home Depot and get an Englander for heaven's sake.

Value is normally around 200-400 dollars, depending on condition. Good luck.

Agreed. Unless you can find a sucker that thinks that all stone stoves are the same, that is old stove and worth less than 500$ in perfect shape. Without a tag to confirm its EPA approval it is a boat anchor since it would be illegal to buy, sell, install, or even continue to use here soon in my part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.