Need installation help for wood insert....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekwiatek

Nov 28, 2005
Hello,

I have a quadrafire wood insert (2700-i) that I am putting into my factory built fireplace.

I have some homesaver 6" ultrapro liner and a connector adaptor.

QUESTION:

I just need to connect the liner to the "connecter adpator" and then insert into "connector adaptor" into the wood insert..... right? Do I need to use a cast iron boot?

How do I seal the connection? Do I use stove and gasket cement to fill any gaps in where the connector adaptor slides into the wood insert?

Thanks,
Keith

Is that factory built fireplace made to withstand the heat of a wood insert?

I have had two experts out who say it is able to withstand the heat.....

Now can anyone answer my question who isn't a contractor afraid of losing business?

Not a Contractor but a building and mechanical inspector. I too would require proof that the existing pre fab fireplace is listed for the installation of an insert. I know of no cast iron boot you are asking about. Please explain the whole process and what your installation manual requires, The more info the forum participants have the better advice we can render. Your explanation or questioning is a little confusing

Hmm. I wonder why these two "experts" you have had out haven't been able to answer your question about whether you need a boot. Frankly, given your attitude, I'm not surprised you aren't getting any answers.

Sorry if I came across wrong... but I have had my share of contractors who try and give you the run around instead of just answering the questions...

1. I had a couple professionals out last year, and they verified that my UL listed majestic factory built fireplace would be good with the quadrafire 2700i wood insert.

2. I am thinking that I don't need the boot, but rather the "connector adapter" (see below picture), but how to do I ensure a good seal where the connector adaptor slides into the wood insert? Do I use gasket cement?

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=455&idproduct=3874

http://www.rutland.com/sfp4/link4.htm#64

Thank You,
Keith

Thanks for the info.
In general you will only need the boot if your stove outlet is rectangular or oval. For a round flue outlet you will only need a connector adapter. You have the right idea.

As far as sealing the gap between the insert and the conector adapter, that has been discussed on this board very recently. If you do a search of the posts on this board you should be able to find that thread.

I searched buy am having trouble finding the posts on sealing the gap with the linder/adaptor/insert.... can you give me the keywords you used, or thread name of the posts?

Thanks
Keith

Rutland furnace cement comes in a caulking tube and is usually available at better hardware stores and stove shops. It's easy to work with and inexpensive.

Please do some research The dealer in my neighboring town owns 3 retail fireplace shops and is one of the biggest dealers in
Metro Boston area. He informs me that he dropped the qudra fire 2700i insert line due to too many quality control issues. He sells all other Qudra fire inserts 4100i ect but will not sell another 2700i.

The caulking sealeant should be listed for heat above 1200 degrees Boss 136 is a draft sealant tested to 3000 degrees
http://www.accumetricinc.com listed for wood stove applications

Dap also makes a sealant ASTM E- 136 Standard Tested to 2000 degrees listed to be used to patch wood stoves
http://www.dap.com/

“Noncombustible/ASTM-E136 fireblocking sealants are made of inorganic materials such as minerals and silicates that cure hard like a mortar or cement. Due to the intense heat requirements of the ASTM-E136 test, organic materials ignite and exhibit products of combustion.

Materials that pass the ASTM-E136 standard of noncombustibility are tested to withstand in excess of 1380° F demonstrating that it will have a greater burn time/ temperature than wood. In addition, the mineral composition allows noncombustible sealants to be unaffected by age, remaining effective as a fireblock for the lifetime of the structure.”

Do a search on the word "sealing" and you will find a thread titled "sealing liner connector to stove" or something like that. I think it is thread #117.

The 2700i is the only insert that fits my fireplace.... could you please ask your friend what specifically he had problems with?? other people at hearth.com has posted postive reviews of the 2700i.....

Thanks,
Keith

[quote author="elkimmeg" date="1133213017"]Please do some research The dealer in my neighboring town owns 3 retail fireplace shops and is one of the biggest dealers in
Metro Boston area. He informs me that he dropped the qudra fire 2700i insert line due to too many quality control issues. He sells all other Qudra fire inserts 4100i ect but will not sell another 2700i.

Part of the problems are manufacturer claims of heat output and burn times claims.
Due to the smallish fire box, neither proved to be able to come close to the manufactures claims.
They are draft sensitive and do not draft very well in masonry chimneys with 3 walls exposed to the outside.
Proved not to work well direct connecting in larger fireplace flues. Without a decent draft they do not function correctly.
Once a dealer gets too many complaints and too many issues, this dealer decided to dis- continue sales of that model.
That's not saying you will have the same issues. I just thought it odd in a general discussion, that he made a point to mention that particular model. It's not like I asked about that model?

Thank you very much for the quick information.... BUT, it really sounds like your dealer friend let the people install without the proper configuration.... draft is everything......the 2700i should be installed with a 6" diameter chimney/liner that is well insulated..... How could anyone expect good drafting if you don't have the right configuration??

I only raised the safety issue because it would be a shame to get advice on how to seal it if your firebox suffered catastrophic failure afterwards. Let us know how it works out and performs afterwards.

David

ekwiatek said:
The 2700i is the only insert that fits my fireplace.... could you please ask your friend what specifically he had problems with?? other people at hearth.com has posted postive reviews of the 2700i.....

Thanks,
Keith

elkimmeg said:
Please do some research The dealer in my neighboring town owns 3 retail fireplace shops and is one of the biggest dealers in

What dimension is your limitation? I looked at the Quad 2700i and it was close to fitting as was the Lopi Answer insert, the Osburn 1800i, the Napoleon 1100, The VC winterwarm small, Lopi Revere, etc...

The Quad is almost identical in size to the Napoleon 1100 if I remember correctly.

Be glad to dig out my research and let you know what other stoves would work for you.

The top stove in my research was the Lopi Revere, but it's a considerably more than the Osburn I went with.

In my opinion, look for an insert that comes with a blower!!!!!

It really helps move the heat out.

Warren

After reading elkimmeg's posts in this thread and others, I think he is full of hot air... I wish he would just leave my posts alone.... most everyone else is helpful -he is just sarcastic.... He started off by saying there were "quality control" issues, and then when pressed couldn't produce a single "quality control" issue, but instead talked about how the unit doesn't perform when matched with a chimney of the wrong size?!?!?!?!?!

I think elkimmeg was quite specific in his statement. He listed the issues as reported with your insert - that its claims of heat output are greatly inflated; that it does not draft as well as other stoves when installed in a similar fashion, and that he knows of two dealers who specifically don't sell that model anymore because of customer complaints. He also was clear that your situation may be different. He also told you specifically about the sealants that work at high temprature. I personally don't see how any of that that is being unhelpful. If someone else has had a bad experience with a stove I bought, I would like to know about it. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinions, but I'm afraid you are not entitled to your own facts. Elkimmeg stated the facts about that model as he knew them. Can't fault him for that.

Same owner owns the Vermont Castings Factory outlet in Natic Ma on RT 9, A stove shop in Canton MA and the original
Franklin Fire place in Franklin MA, He opens at 10 AM. Here is the shop number ask for shop owner Mike
508 528 1234 Yea Don't l want to hear it so shoot the messenger call him a bag of wind. Never did answer important questions about the existing pre fab. Never confirmed it is is listed for an insert. Never answered back if the chase was insulated and Fire code sheet rocked PER NFPA 211 Code. You call me a bag of wind I was only trying to help. So make the call and verify his oppinions btw President of the fireplace retailers in MA. One of the longest family owned shops in New England, Reputation impeckable, and a Qudra Fire dealer. (Kinda like EF Hutton when he speaks they all listen) My qualifications: Boca National certified Building and Mechanical Inspector Ma certified Building and Mechanical Inspector employed as a local Building inspector and mechanical inspector for my town the past 10 years. willing to help others. Guilty of taking the time to try to help you and still trying

Hi all! First post!

Does the 2700i load left to right or front to back? My QF 2100i (discontinued) load front to back. The box can be packed. I can see a left to righter not having as much practical capacity even with the same dimensions.

While this should probably be another post, I'll ask it anyway. :) Can anyone make any suggestions for an insert for a Heatilator Element 36" prefab? I saw an insert the other day, (forgot brand), and the firebox looked so miniscule that it didn't seem worth the effort.

Thanks.

Wow, hard to get a straight answer... I used a connector adaptor, needed an offset adapter also, and used a tube version of the cement you had in your post. Seems to be working just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.