Need just cutting stone for powersharp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snosurfa7

Mar 25, 2009
VA
Anybody been able to find just a cutting stone for the Oregon Powersharp system? The company themselves does not sell them like this (you have the buy the chain and stone) but wondering if anyone found an online vendor with a stash of just the stones.

The system is great in terms of ease of sharpening right there on the job however having to drop 35 bucks for a new chain and stone is ridiculous! I've now gone through 2 stones (and therefore chains), that was bucking up about 3 cord of wood with an 18" craftsman. There were some big rounds (24+" diameter) plus I decided to make some chainsaw chairs with leftover big stumps which to be fair I think really dulled out the chains quick. Maybe that is why it wore down quicker than your traditional system.

I think the powersharp is an interesting concept. Wonder why they don't offer the stones? Perhaps they figure by the time you need a new stone - you don't have much left on the chain to work with? Not sure.

I know files cost a few dollars. Not as fast - but inexpensive and easy. Good luck

I saw that on this old house with the wife one weekend while hunting at the farm.

Thought it was neat so i looked it up. The chain and drilling the bar set up was gonna cost me
some real $$ that and they didnt make it in a 20" bar!! It was so much even for an 18"er i said nah i will still
hand file, plus you also cant sink the shole bar into a cut if i remember the way it was setup?

I now have a HF chain grinder i bnought for $20 and think that is the best money i have spent by far!!!
Almost to lazy now to touch it up by hand, i just sharpen 2 chains and run one till it seems
2 be getting dull throw the other on and then sharpen both when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.