Need liner suggestions for existing 7x10 chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfjsf

Sep 29, 2010
Wash. Pa
Got up on the roof and measured today, the ID of my terra cotta lined chimney is 6 3/4" x 10 1/4"

Will I be able to stuff a 6" liner wrapped in 1/2" insulation in it or am I going to have to get an ovalized liner? And since my chimney is rather short to begin with (15-17ft run of flex from where the stove pipe exits the wall) I didnt want to have it ovalized because I heard it affects performance.

Thoughts?

Duraliner oval flue is made for this chimney.

Can you direct me to a vendor that carries duraliner? or do they all?

also, what size oval liner should I get to accomodate for the insulation?

If it were mine and the clay liner were in good shape...

I would get 6" liner. I'd ovalize a little it by putting it on the ground and applying a significant portion of my body weight to a 3' 2x8 laid across the liner. I'd then stick it down the chimney, re-round the bottom few inches of it using some wood clamps so the stove connector fits well. Next I'd pack rockwool between the liner and the bottom 6" of the clay liner. Finally I'd climb up on the roof and pour in a bunch of bags of pearlite potting material around the liner, install the cap, and light a fire.

I have a 7x11 it's a 27' run so insulation would've been near impossible with a 6" liner. I used a 5 1/2" liner and poured 4 or 5 bags of HomeSaver insulation around it. Mine drafts fine but yours is a little shorter so I'm not sure how it would work with a 5 1/2 inch liner.

I'm jumping on with BG here, suggest an unmodified oval.

It would be well worth checking the cost and availability of a poured in place liner. Supaflu (www.supaflu.com) is one. There are other systems, too.

I agree with the ovalized from Duravent.
You can do flex or rigid. The rigid is pre-insulated. Check the outside diameter though. May be able to get a 5-1/5" liner.
When I got my rigid I got it from:
http://www.ventingpipe.com

Most cost effective at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.