Need longer bracket to support vertical 3" pellet chimney pipe stack (from side of house)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doorknob

Nov 15, 2010
NH
My pellet stove's 3" diameter exhaust pipe passes horizontally through the outside wall of the house (through a thimble or whatever they call the thru-wall fitting). Currently it terminates about a foot away from the siding in a horizontal exhaust vent.

I recently installed a heating oil tank in my basement, and there is a vent pipe from the oil tank that exits the basement about a foot or two away from the pellet stove's exhaust pipe. To meet code, I believe that I must keep the pellet stove's exhaust outlet at least ten feet from the oil tank vent.

My plan is to remove the exhaust fitting from the thru-wall fitting, replace it with a cleanout Tee (http://www.lowes.com/pd_53936-76845-AC-3067_4294934297+4294809884_40_?productId=3134669&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Simpson+DuraVent_4294934297+4294809884_40_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1) and then to go up from there with ten feet of 3" pipe, to a 90-degree fitting at the top, a 1-foot section, and then finally the exhaust fitting.

I need to support the pipe (from the siding of the house) near the top with some kind of bracket. I got a Simpson Dura-Vent bracket (similar to http://www.lowes.com/pd_62710-76845...avent&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl__0__s?Ntt=duravent but without the third support leg), however it is not long enough - I need an additional 8" (beyond the length of the bracket).

So, can someone point me to either a longer-legged bracket, or an extension bracket to add to the one that I have?

I have considered looking for some stainless steel sheet metal stock and fabricating my own extender, but surely I'm not the only person who has faced this problem...

I had the same thing with my piping because I have a propane tank near my vent. I used the duravent bracket but bought a 1/8 aluminum which is about 1" wide at lowes. I basically cut it to the length I needed and then made new L brackets to reach out to where the pipes are (I needed about 5 inches in length) and then just drilled them for screws as needed. If you want some pics let me know and I'll try and get some before the sun sets

Thanks for the offer of photos - no need to go to any trouble, but it's always useful to see what someone else has done in a similar situation...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.