Need more BTU's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hearth often needs to be extended when going to a hearth mount stove.For a hearth mount stove the main question is going to be whether the flue outlet on the stove will clear the top of the fireplace opening. This will depend on the hearth height. Pick out the stove first as hearth insulation requirements vary quite a bit between stoves. If you can post a picture a bit further back of the whole fireplace we may be able to make more suggestions.
I don't have a picture handy, but here are some measurements.
It would appear that it is 41-3/4" from the wood floor in front of the hearth to the top edge of the fireplace opening and 52"from the wood floor to the top of the brick opening.
The brick opening is a little over 43" wide and 35" tall.
The Heatilator opening is 34" wide at the front and 20" tall in the front.
The firebox depth is 16 1/2" fron the heatilator doors to the rear.
The back width of the firebox is about 20".
The opening of the heatilator is about 4 3/4" above the hearth.
The width of the hearth is 122"
The hearth extends 24" from the front of the Heatilator to the front edge of the rock hearth
The top of the hearth front is 17" to the wood floor.
8" damper removed and a 6" SS liner installed to the existing insert.

If my math is correct, without modifying anything the max flue collar height for a free standing, rear-exit stove that will fit is going to be around 24". A Woodstock Fireview at 22.5" would work. It's 20" deep and would fit on the hearth. This is a side-loader. With your high hearth I'm not sure you would need to modify anything to fit the stove. Just add a cleanout tee to the bottom of the liner and connect with a short piece of stainless pitched uphill toward the chimney at 1/4" / ft or better.

If that is appealing, I see that the Fireview is on sale right now with free shipping.

http://www.woodstove.com/sale

If my math is correct, without modifying anything the max flue collar height for a free standing, rear-exit stove that will fit is going to be around 24". A Woodstock Fireview at 22.5" would work. It's 20" deep and would fit on the hearth. This is a side-loader. With your high hearth I'm not sure you would need to modify anything to fit the stove. Just add a cleanout tee to the bottom of the liner and connect with a short piece of stainless pitched uphill toward the chimney at 1/4" / ft or better.

If that is appealing, I see that the Fireview is on sale right now with free shipping.

http://www.woodstove.com/sale

Those are good looking heaters!

If I did the math right and did set the Fireview on the existing hearth and leave the heatilator in place, I have about 24-3/4" to the top of the heatilator opening.
(4-3/4" plus the heatilator opening of 20")
That puts the rear pipe going down hill unless I take the hearth down or pull the heatilator out. Taking the hearth down 6" looks like would be the least expense.
I definately want the cleanout at the bottom.
Next time I am up there I will double check the measurements. I might have a little more room without a trim piece.
I am adding 3" to the center height of the Fireview discharge of 22-3/4" for a total of 25-3/4".

I noticed the Hybrid has the same discharge height and a bigger firebox. I understand they are a fairly new design but have descent reviews..

Edit: OK, I follow you now. Not sure about pulling the trim piece. The flue should be entirely within the heatilator's firebox. Current pics would help if you can post them later on.

I think the Progress Hybrid is too much stove for only 1200 sq ft, but call Woodstock to verify.

OK, here are some pictures before and after the insert that might show more

Attachments

• 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 162.JPG
    162.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 124
After insert install

More pics

Attachments

• Forbes Park September 002.JPG
    Forbes Park September 002.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Fireplace1.jpg
    Fireplace1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 100
  • chimney2.jpg
    chimney2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 97
Open loft

A lot of Cubic Feet to heat, 16,000 or so.

Attachments

• Forbes Park September 001.JPG
    Forbes Park September 001.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 99
I don't have a ton of experience but if that was my place (and I hope to have a cabin like that in CO soon!) I would fill in the fireplace with rock, build a hearth in front of the opening and run a pipe straight up and out the roof. I would also go with the blaze king king free standing stove!

I don't have a ton of experience but if that was my place (and I hope to have a cabin like that in CO soon!) I would fill in the fireplace with rock, build a hearth in front of the opening and run a pipe straight up and out the roof. I would also go with the blaze king king free standing stove!

I have been looking at all the options and go from tearing out the hearth and removing the existing fireplace and flue and installing a 2100 degree flue with a free standing stove to trying to vent a free standing heater thru the existing fireplace to sitting a LP gas heater on the existing hearth and installing a freestanding in another spot with the flue up thru the cathedral ceiling.
I will do something in the spring/summer, just trying to balance out what makes the most sense, the safest, and the least damage to my wallet.

Not yet, but will be.
I would do that first. Try it blowing upward (reversed) for a couple days and then blowing down. That should improve 1st floor comfort a bit, even with the cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.