Need Motivation to Install 2nd Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2nd stove sitting in my lobby, but I'm not very motivated to hook it up. I'm not sure if it's the effort to source the parts or it's the expense, but she's sitting still. May be a November project when it's about time to really crank up the heat. The nice thing is, I could unload it if I really wanted to. Customers ask about it, and one guy said he'd love to replace his current stove with one just like that. Wouldn't be hard to get my money back out of it if need be.

Its going to be the coldest winter of all time.

Is that motivation?

Now that customers have noticed it, you better get it installed. And it better look good, otherwise it could be a reflection on your work ethic. Then you can set them up with the same stove later. Your reputation is hanging in the balance, it's your call.

Oh yeah, it's going to be the coldest winter ever. (thanks H-Dog)

Reactions: ScotO
What if you had to do what this guy had too.

Reactions: ScotO
Nothing motivates me more than cold weather. 2 years ago I hooked up our 2nd stove, I didn't quite kick into gear till late October when the basement started to chill down then everything fell into place.

Reactions: firecracker_77
I've got a 2nd stove sitting in my lobby, but I'm not very motivated to hook it up. I'm not sure if it's the effort to source the parts or it's the expense, but she's sitting still. May be a November project when it's about time to really crank up the heat. The nice thing is, I could unload it if I really wanted to. Customers ask about it, and one guy said he'd love to replace his current stove with one just like that. Wouldn't be hard to get my money back out of it if need be.
Yeah, kind of going through the same thing. I'm a little tired of moving stoves.

I still haven't moved the Defiant or installed the 30.

Yeah, kind of going through the same thing. I'm a little tired of moving stoves.

I still haven't moved the Defiant or installed the 30.

In this mild weather, it's not a top priority especially when you have a stove already to heat you. That 30 is sitting there in the house?

That 30 is sitting there in the house?
Yep. Still in the gallery. On the pedestal. I need to move the Defiant into the Living Room, get the 30 on the dolly, tip it onto it's back, remove the pedestal, attach the legs, get it up-right, and move it into the big fireplace.

Then I need to see if I need any additional pipe to make the connections to both stoves.

And I am still waiting on the heat shield for the Defiant's stove collar.

Motivation?

the big one the path to the generator.JPG
The big one front porch.JPG

Edit to add: Had to shovel that path to the generator shack four times in that storm. Same with the path to the wood stacks that were farther away and which were covered by rubber roofing with that snow on top of it. As of the following spring the four cord wood shed and attached generator shack are three feet out of the back of the breezeway behind the garage. With a walkway and three foot eves over it. :mad:

Those trees covered in snow are pretty

Yeah. That snow on the trees was the reason the power was out for seven days when that pic was taken in 2010. And that same snow was on the 900 foot driveway to the road. <>

Wood stoves and generators (and lots of gasoline) are a good thing.

Yeah. That snow on the trees was the reason the power was out for seven days when that pic was taken in 2010. And that same snow was on the 900 foot driveway to the road. <>

Wood stoves and generators (and lots of gasoline) are a good thing.

You were warm and you had a house full of neighbors who had no back-up systems

Nice pics Brother Bart! However, I can't say I feel sympathetic.. LOL. Where I live we normally get 14-24 inches per storm in the winter. I think it is the snowiest place in Canada! The pics I have attached were taken after Easter weekend 2007. That year Easter was the 6th-7th-8th of APRIL! And we received 94cm (37 inches) in 3 days. Needless to say we didn't have to worry about mowing the lawn for a few extra weeks.

Firecracker: you could get a storm like that in Chicagoland..now install the damn stoves!

Andrew

Attachments

• DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 131
  • April 7th 2007 (Easter).JPG
    April 7th 2007 (Easter).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 155
  • April 7th 2007(Easter).JPG
    April 7th 2007(Easter).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 135
To recap:
Its going to be the coldest winter of all time.
coldest winter in 1000 years and it can certainly reflect upon your work ethic
Motivation? - BB pics

Firecracker: you could get a storm like that in Chicagoland..now install the damn stoves!
Install the dang stove firecracker;lol

Reactions: firecracker_77
Nice pics Brother Bart! However, I can't say I feel sympathetic.. LOL. Where I live we normally get 14-24 inches per storm in the winter. I think it is the snowiest place in Canada! The pics I have attached were taken after Easter weekend 2007. That year Easter was the 6th-7th-8th of APRIL! And we received 94cm (37 inches) in 3 days. Needless to say we didn't have to worry about mowing the lawn for a few extra weeks.

Andrew

That's a little too much snow. You would never find your wood stacks

Nice pics Brother Bart! However, I can't say I feel sympathetic.. LOL. Where I live we normally get 14-24 inches per storm in the winter.

Now ya know why I don't live in Quebec, eh?

It's not everywhere in Quebec that gets snow like that. I live on the most eastern tip of the Gaspe Peninsula. I am right beside the Gulf of St Lawrence. Therefore I get the storms that crawl up the Eastern Seabord (NorEasters) and I also get the low pressure systems that often affect the mid west (that start as COlorado Lows) and follow the jet stream. In the case of the pictures above, we were hit with a weather bomb. 2 low pressure systems combined right over us. The fact that the water does no longer freeze in the winter provides lots of moisture to convert to snowfall during storms.

On average we get 380-420 cm of snow per winter. The past few winters have been easy on us but according to the Almanac we are in for some serious precipitation this winter.

I love winter..and I love snow. But I also love it when it goes...

Andrew

The Defiant is now on the hearth in the living room and the 30 is now in the walk-in fireplace. Just waiting on the 8" oval to 6" round double wall connector for the Defiant and the 36" single wall pipe for the 30.

Your move, Firecracker!

The Defiant is now on the hearth in the living room and the 30 is now in the walk-in fireplace. Just waiting on the 8" oval to 6" round double wall connector for the Defiant and the 36" single wall pipe for the 30.

Your move, Firecracker!

We both know that you are far more capable than I am in this department. My install involves buying the tile, buying a chimney, cutting away carpet and tiling over the slab underneath, trimming the edges of the hearth, having the installer put the chimney up through the roof, and then getting that stove in place. Likely not before November to be honest. She'll get done at some point...hopefully. I have been enjoying my time with the green Heritage for now. The black beauty will have to wait her turn.

I hear you. I'd probably vomit at the notion of having to do a complete install with hearth, again. I'm very glad all the installs are behind me.

Just connected the blower to the 30. My first blower ever. Kind of loud. Now I know why people comment on blower noise all the time.

I hear you. I'd probably vomit at the notion of having to do a complete install with hearth, again. I'm very glad all the installs are behind me.

Just connected the blower to the 30. My first blower ever. Kind of loud. Now I know why people comment on blower noise all the time.

Loud enough to be a problem? You could always switch it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.