Need nice looking log racks for covered front porch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12pack

Aug 3, 2012
Westchester County N.Y.
I need to buy some nice well built log racks for the covered front porch.

Wifey doesn't like the cut down pallets w/ 2" x 4" for ends any longer as it looks like crap. Looks fine to me, but she is the boss.

I need:

(1) 10' long
(1) 8' long
(2) 4' long

Where do you guys recommend purchasing from?

It's pretty simple to make one using just 2 x 4's. The top though is different as there are many options. I just used a sheet of our old galvanized roofing. In the summer I remove it and then replace in the fall.

You can build a 2x4 rack or buy the metal style racks and then cover them with this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395529_200395529?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Logging Accessories-_-395071&ci_sku=395071&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CNDm_rCy0rQCFYZaMgodlRUASQ

I've got two metal racks and one 2x4 rack on my front porch - all covered with 3 of the above tarps. I really like this style tarp - velcro closures - 4' long makes for easy in/out of wood. VERY sturdy tarp material - not your ordinary tarp stuff from the box stores. The covers come in 8' long also but I chose the 4' for convenience of the in/out.

Oh course the wood on the porch is seasoned 3 yrs. and has been brought up from the backyard pallet seasoning racks.

Reactions: midwestcoast
I think if you could make some nice racks out of 2x4s and paint or stain them and your wife would be happy!

I used the same plans as on the link provided by brian89gp for about the same amount of wood. I made a smaller, fancier version for our covered front deck. I added some cheap trim from the re-store and painted it white. It won the wife's approval. It's quick, easy and cheap.:cool:

On my deck is a 4' steel tube rack (given to me) with a cover similar to tho one in Shari's link. Keeps rain, snow sleet off of a weeks worth of wood & is very convenient. I take it off when I refill & otherwise use the velcro. Works well for me

Status
Not open for further replies.