Need OAK line advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocko1

Burning Hunk
Feb 1, 2014
Jersey city,NJ
I have a p 61a now and I am venting it through a 6 inch SS liner that goes through my chimney. I am considering running an 3 inch oak line next to the 6 inch exhaust line through the chimney also. Does anyone have advice on what I should do at the top of the chimney? My idea was to cut a 3 inch hole in the chimney cap and run the oak through it and have this line exit the chimney and bend down at least two feet below the exhaust port. I really don't want to cut any holes in the wall near the stove for the Oak line because it would not look great. I also don't want to drill a 3 inch hole through the back of my chimney since it is over a foot thick. The room my stove is in is extremely drafty and I think I am pulling in a tone of cold air without using oak. Thanks

I have to agree with chickenman(but I try to stay away from chimneys) I think you can use the surrounding space as an inlet.They make chimney caps for hooking up flue and inlet,spacing does not have to be that far apart,I think you can do what you want at low cost.Perhaps one of the chimney persons will chip in.

Size of liner is good for what you want to do.Most people with newer stoves run an insulated flue that high,but not ness. with certain stovesI do know that they make chimney caps for flue/inlet,dual pipes,that only need a small distance apart(heat rises),but you still may be able to use the flue as an OAK.

Even if the stove picked up some traces of exhaust it would be minimal at most and burned in the fire chamber not distributed to the room !!! That's combustion air being drawn in through the OAK not convection/ distribution air.

What Chickenman described is how I'm running my OAK to my P61a. I just have to get the OAK above the nest of insulation I have at the old smoke shelf. I'm not going up a ladder though, if the stove chokes off I will drill some relief holes outside through the brick or even a single larger hole and put a screen over it. 8ft ladder is it for me, I'm not borrowing that 40 footer again to get 26 ft up the side of my chimney. My family has deemed me incompetent to go up high ladders since I fell off one ( hey I have three daughters, anyone here have three daughters and a wife and two daughters in law, they conspire ya know !) !! So they made my long ladders disappear. And truth be known, I survived that fall, once is enough. Anyway, my stove sits on a hearth, I suspect I will need about 8' or 9' of OAK. I like this !

Last edited:
No Oak is worth falling off a ladder.
Your plan is perfect. Just drill through the bricks if necessary, it will be fine.
I used to whip up and down the 100' ladders on our silos, no harness no nothing. I still do it occasionally but now consider what would happen if I slipped. Docs here say you should not go up a ladder over head height once you turn 40. Looking back, they are probably right.
I was in my 40's when that happened, it was in spring mud though and I landed feet first. I squatted and let myself fold and roll. I hit my butt off the mud ground and rolled off to a the right. Pretty dirty, kind of wet ! I was up about second story height. It happened so fast it went off like a dream, you get those flash thoughts coming down like in a dream. All I could think was deaden the blow, so I folded up at the knees. But now I'm 64 and don't fold so easy. Anyway, yes OAK should be good !

Lucky boy, glad you're still here to tell the tale..
Ya I know of a guy who is not here though, landed head first. Went off a roof somehow. I have this Pastor friend of ours, he says someone was looking over you that day ( speaking of me not the other guy). Ya I could be dead or mangled right now. We live life very close to death actually, if you think about. It's good to be spiritually ready cause you sure never know.

Ok,
Hooked my oak line up today. Ran it about 5 feet up the chimney and reinsulated below. I also put some screening at end of oak line to keep any debris out. I also drilled a 5/8 inch hole near op of chimney to let some extra air in. We will see what happens when I fire her up at the end of next month!

Ok,
Hooked my oak line up today. Ran it about 5 feet up the chimney and reinsulated below. I also put some screening at end of oak line to keep any debris out. I also drilled a 5/8 inch hole near op of chimney to let some extra air in. We will see what happens when I fire her up at the end of next month!
Ya it's coming quick !! Good luck with it.

Ok,
Sounds so simple.... Did you get the Harman OAK kit?

Nope,
Got all the material for less then 25 bucks. Ran 12 inches of 3 inch diameter pipe straight out the back of the unit and hooked that to 4" dryer vent with a reducer. I put that up the chimney about a foot or two past where I insulate. I couldn't find 3 inch dryer vent, not a big deal. I also swept out the liner today and gave the stove a total cleaning. She is ready for battle!

Just finally fired stove up with new oak line. Everything seems to be running fine but the only thing I noticed was that there are more blue flames showing then before I installed the oak line, is this normal?

Reactions: apandori
That's a good thing! Means your fire is hotter so the OAK is doing it's job supplying air supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.