need opinion on if I should split not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So I have some white oak that is bucked and ready to be split. Only problem is I ran out of room where I normally stack my wood. Where I stack has all day sun and decent wind. I am not 2 years ahead on wood because I dont have the room to store it. Question is should I split and just throw it in a pile until I have more room in the fall to stack it or just wait to split in the fall? Right not I would say I have enough wood for this winter and probably half of the next winter. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you have another decent area that gets wind I would split and stack it there, even if you need to move it down the road it's worth it. We have what we call a holding area that I stack in (holds over four cord) that I'll end up moving some this spring.

zap

I say split it ASAP. Like zap says, if you can find someplace to stack it, do it. You'll be lucky if it's dry enough to burn next winter.

I agree with the others, regardless of where you put it or how you stack or pile it, I would go ahead and get it split up now.

Yes sir.....split it now it will need all the time you can give it to dry out. Doesn't have to have sun on it, a good wind will help.

Question is should I split and just throw it in a pile until I have more room in the fall to stack it or just wait to split in the fall?

Not sure I understand... you have room for a "pile" of wood, but not a "stack"?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Split it!

split it and start the drying process, worry about where to stack it some other time, Ive left stacks of wood for months before I could neatly stack it somewhere, inn the meantime it was drying.

Reactions: Billybonfire
Split now and stack later if you have to. You know wood takes up less room stacked than thrown in a pile right.

I don't think there is any situation where splitting the wood later is a better choice than splitting it sooner. Split wood seasons faster and is less likely to rot, so even if you're ten years ahead it is still better to split as soon as you have the time.

If you have the room for a pile, you have the room for a holzhausen. Do a search and be amazed.

Split it.

Oak takes longer to season than other wood.
But regardless of that, wood don't start to season until it's split & stacked & will last many, many years S&S.
At least throw down some pallets to pile it on if you are going to leave it for a while. Off the ground & stacked is best.

My opinion:
SPLIT IT! & stack or pile it on pallets so it's off the ground ;)

So I have some white oak that is bucked and ready to be split. Only problem is I ran out of room where I normally stack my wood. Where I stack has all day sun and decent wind. I am not 2 years ahead on wood because I dont have the room to store it. Question is should I split and just throw it in a pile until I have more room in the fall to stack it or just wait to split in the fall? Right not I would say I have enough wood for this winter and probably half of the next winter. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any type of wood; split it ASAP. Doubly so with oak.

I too wonder about your statement about not having room to stack it but could throw it into a pile. Stacked takes a lot less space than just thrown and if you just throw it into a pile, the drying is super slow.

Split it, as your stacks loose moisture they will get smaller...Hence, you will have room for more splits :)

Any Oak needs 2 years min in split form to dry sufficiently. Split it!

Status
Not open for further replies.