need opinions about my 2008 vc encore nc (pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
Hi, I have a vc encore nc that i heated 24/7 with last winter, It was fussy but great. I know how most here feel about vc everburn, but i can not even think of purchasing a new stove by another company because of finances. si i have to work with what i have.

anyway i cleaned it in spring but just now inspected it. I have pictures of a crack in shoe, and a gap in damper, Do you feel the crack is a problem?,
the picture of the gap i took with light shing through so the light you see is the gap. gasket appears ok damper may have a slight warp. I cannot tighen (adjust) anymore as it is already hard to snap damper into place, should i try to get rid of gap or is it not a big deal???

Thanks Michael
stovecrack.jpg

dampergasket.jpg

Is it under warranty? Call the dealer and see if you can get replacements. I think it will only get worse over time.

i bought it in sept 1 2008, should be covered by new company

The crack looks pretty small. As for the gap maybe you can replace the gasket with a larger size. Do you drop your splits in the firebox or do you place them gently? That shoe looks damaged by logs (me thinks)!

CTBurner said:
i bought it in sept 1 2008, should be covered by new company

it probably won't be covered, as MHS which now owns VC did not pick up coverage of wtty from previous VC purchases before the acquisition.. however, what you got going on is not unusual for the refractory pkgs from VC or any other stove constructed that way: VC, Dutchwest, LOPI Leyden, Harman, etc... nothing to worry about unless it smashes apart and loses shape.

The shoe in my Harman developed exactly the same crack last season. Don't remember abusing it with logs, but who knows. I had every intention of just letting it go, but when I pulled the shoe during stove cleaning it promptly broke in half. Fortunately, it split while I was holding it, so the joint remained intact. I gobbed on some furnace cement, clamped it, and baked it in the oven 'til done.

yes i think i'll see how it goes this winter

aside from the headaches that you have from the stove now, how did it do last winter going24/7. i just picked up an encore nc brand new retiring the 1977 viglant, i know there is the vermont castings learning curve once that is figured out is it as bad as talked about in the forums?

eq harry said:
aside from the headaches that you have from the stove now, how did it do last winter going24/7. i just picked up an encore nc brand new retiring the 1977 viglant, i know there is the vermont castings learning curve once that is figured out is it as bad as talked about in the forums?

Once you fiqurte the beast out, it works great, in everburn i got 6-7 hour burns of a lot of heat, be sure to burn properly seasoned wood and 3" coal bed is a must

Status
Not open for further replies.