1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need pellet vent advise

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Rickster, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Loc:
    CT
    Since my Quad is apparently on infinite backorder, I would like to do as much as I can to prepare for the delivery and install.
    I am planning to install the vent pipe myself, and have decided a single vertical vent is my best option. Based on the attached photo, how high will the pipe need to be once it exits the roof?
    Will I need double or triple vent pipe for the inside portion? (I do plan to burn corn as well).
    Also, I have heard good things about the Selkirk brand of pipe, but cannot find a source where I can talk to someone and put together a package. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I just got a pellet price of $380 per ton from the same dealer in CT!

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    DO NOT USE SINGLE WALL FOR PELLET OR CORN! YES I AM YELLING!

Please use a brand name pipe.

Thanks
    Eric
  3. smoke show

smoke show Guest

4. imacman

imacman Guest

Are you putting the stove in front of those windows? I seem to remember something about them having to be fixed (can't be opened) when a stove is in front of them....maybe I'm way off base on that?

And $380 for pellets :gulp: ...that was for the dealer you're buying the stove from? Did you get a good price from him on the stove, as they seem to be trying to make it up on you w/ the pellets. Their $250 - 279 around me.
  5. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    380 per ton?!? Holy Crap!
  6. Rickster

Rickster Member

Loc:
    CT
    I KNOW NOT TO USE SINGLE WALL PIPE
    I was wondering if I need double or triple, and if I need one specific to muti-fuel.
    Also, I can disable the windows if I have too.
    My main concern is the adjacent roof, being so much higher in relation to the roof over the stove pipe.
    Thanks for the link BTW.
  7. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    You need one that is certified for Corn (it's got a higher acidic exhaust so you need better pipe than pellets).

As for the height - you need to be 1' above the roof where you exit. Not sure how close that other roof is but the next generally applicable rule would be 3' above any roof height within 10 feet (horizontally). Technically speaking (ref: NFPA 211) you'd be okay with the 1 foot requirement. From a drafting perspective, the 3' would probably be better.
  8. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Pellet vent Pro is rated for corn.

Eric
  9. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.