need piping for the inside of my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
i will be installing my St. Croix and venting it our through my current chimney. Some people have told me that i shouldnt have to run any liner or piping and other people said that it is nessacry. My thought is that i would rather be safe then sorry so i am going to run the piping up the chimney. What is the approximate price for this type of piping and where could i find some for a cheap price? I am guessing that i will need probaly about 30 feet.

Thanks

My installer talked me out of piping to the top of the chimney when my insert was put in three years ago due to the high cost. I was hesitant at first, but figured I could do the piping later if I did not like the alternative. I have to say that he was right. I have had no problems at all and the stove works great. He sealed the firebox and put flexible piping to the seal. Twice a year I yank the short section of pipe out and give her a good cleaning. There is always very little ash accumulation and cleans easily.

My brother had the same circumstance and chose to run the pipe clear to the top of the chimney. He claims it is a real pain to clean. Not sure there is an easy answer but either way will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.