need quick review of hearth extension with carpeting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiohearthstone

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2010
Bowling Green, Ohio
ok gang...I think I just about have it!
I located some Micore within about an hours drive...been given a lot of looks about what micore is. etc at everyplace I've asked....
I'm gonna take out the sub floor put this 1/2 micore down/then durock then tile.
I plan on framing the tile with some type of Oak. My carpet is going to go to the oak.
I know a few of you have done this. I bought two tile books but no book is exactly clear and I get 5 answers from 5 people lol. I thought maybe somebody that found success could give me a 30 second rundown.....

Which should I do?
1.Cut the carpet longer than needed...screw down the trim and then put down the durrock.. after cutting the carpet on the inside of the trim
Should I run the durock all the way to the existing hearth....

2. put down tacks ...then lay the molding ...then trim

3. From the books...I gather that you leave a gap between the tile/trim but where things are vague is that do you run the durock to the trim or this space will all be filled with caulk.

3. Take out a loan and hire a "professional" who says they know what they are doing
and then they screw it up..(not trying to tick off the pro's...just the story of my life lately-hence why I'm gonna try it myself!

oHIohearthstone,

Micore is good stuff but it's not structural, it won't support much. I did a similar project, I got around the problem by adding new subfloor between the joist supported by sistering 2x4 to the side of the joist 3/4 of an inch down and adding 3/4 plywood for support then installing the micore and durock flush with the rest of the floor, I tiled the whole room.

If the carpet is in good shape and can be stretched use tack strip and rent a bumper or a mechanical stretcher.

Build the frame, and hold the trim off the floor (1/4" for low pile 3/8" for regular carpet) so the backing of the carpet will not bunch up against the trim while your stretching the carpet over the tack strip. If your trim includes a shoe molding brad that to the trim after the carpet is installed.

When using 1x for trim I have also rabbited out a notch at the bottom so I could set the trim to the floor for support.

The durock goes all the way up to the hearth and the trim, hold the tile back just enough to grout the gap (same spacing as your tile) or caulk with color match sanded caulk. It should all look like grout when you finish.

Garett

Status
Not open for further replies.