Need Recipe for door glass cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IM not sure on that.

It hasnt scratched it yet

glass is harder than steel wool the last time I checked.

maybe I should try the ashes and damp cloth thing.

Jay H said:
ozarkjeep said:
am I bad to use an SOS pad?

( steel wood with soap in it)

then I wipe with a wet paper towel.

it works great.

ashes work too, but require alot more elbow grease scrubbage in my experience.

Isn't using anything abrasive a bad idea? You could perceivably over time score the glass which is going to introduce a weak point in the glass... I'd be very very gentle with the steel wool or anything that might scratch the glass...

Jay

A good hot fire burns it all off.

I used to use a product (?) I bought at the stove store.

When I want to clean the glass now I use uncut white vinegar in a spray bottle. I've been doing this for the past several years, cheap and works well. However, my glass retains a cloudy film that I can not remove so I thought it was the glass cuz I can't wash it crystal clear. I'll try the wood ash and detergent mix and see if this makes the glass crystal clear.

So many good ideas here, great website.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.