Need Recommendation for a Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brink

Dec 31, 2008
Western Central New Jersey
Now that some great people on this site have helped me figure out how to re-finish my fireplace, I am also in need of a log splitter and am hoping someone can help me. I have seen Home Depots, Lowes and Tractor Supply's models and haves seen others on the Internet not sure if they are any good.
Does anyone have recommendations on a good log splitter? I want gas powered and I am looking at splitting 3-4 cords per year of mixed woods, mainly maple, cherry, chestnut, and oak if I am lucky. I would like a horizontal and vertical combo splitter as I sometimes get pretty heavy logs. Any help if much appreciated.

How much do You have budgeted ? What tonnage rating are You considering ? The HD and Lowes units are likely MTD products . The TSC units are made by Speeco .

For the Money they both are reasonably decent machines . My Mtd lasted Me from '01 'til this year .It's still in fine working order . The only reason that I don't use it now is that I bought a bit faster machine .

3-4 cords a year a 20-22 ton splitter would be more than enough and the splitter you mention are all good splitter wait for it to go on sale. There is also alot of 10percent off coupon out there for lowes

+1 on the 20 ton category splitter.

The search is your friend on this one, it is a topic that has been discussed frequently and at length...

Keep in mind that splitters are pretty generic, they mostly use the same "Chinese menu" (one from Column A, one from Column B, etc..) for the hydraulics, and very similar designs for the rest of the unit, there really aren't any "bad" units out there.... Find one that you like the feel of, and / or the price, and go for it...

Gooserider

Thanks to all.

I am looking at TSC's Huskees. There is a large difference in price between a 22 and a 28 ton splitter. I prefer a Honda engine and it is on the 28, but the price is $450.00 more. Yet the cycle time on the 22 ton with a Briggs engine is faster same log length.

(Huskee 22 tons of splitting force. 190 cc 650 Series Briggs & Stratton® engine. Two-stage 11 GPM pump. 4 x 24 hydraulic cylinder. Vertical or horizontal operation. Cycle time of 14 seconds. 2 in. ball coupler, safety chains and road tires for towing. Splits logs up to 26 in. long. Wide log cradle makes splitting wood quicker, easier and safer. ) $1099.00

(Log Splitter | Brand : Huskee | Engine Type : 190 cc Honda® | Splitting Force : 28 Tons | Cycle Time : 18 sec. | Valve Type : Auto-return |4-1/2 in. x 24 in. cylinder Maximum Log Length : 26 in. | Pump : Two-stage 11 gpm | Tires : DOT Approved 4.80 in. x 8 in. Tires) $1549.00

I suppose to save $450 I'll take the Briggs and 22 tons should be fine.

Home Depots and Lowes are in the same price range, in some cases a little higher. I see Ariens, and Cub Cadet. It looks like the YardMaster is not available any more.
You would think considering the season and this awful economy that the larger stores would be offering incentives to buy these things. I have not seen a Lowes or Home Depot 10% coupon in a long time. Already used my store charge 10% off on house repair things!!!

For $450, you could repower in 10 years when the Briggs finally gives out. Cycle time is more important to me than tons.

LLigetfa said:
For $450, you could repower in 10 years when the Briggs finally gives out. Cycle time is more important to me than tons.
+1 that honda engine is only 179.00 brand new if you ever need to change it!

Note the key difference in the specs - the engines are the same size, and the pumps are the same size, which makes sense given that the pump size determines the minimum engine required to drive it. However the 28 ton model has a 4.5" cylinder, instead of the 4" cylinder on the 20 ton... The cylinder determines the splitting force at a given pressure, but a larger cylinder is either going to need a larger engine & pump, or will have a longer cycle time since it takes more volume of fluid to fill the bigger cylinder...

Gooserider

brink said:
Now that some great people on this site have helped me figure out how to re-finish my fireplace, I am also in need of a log splitter and am hoping someone can help me. I have seen Home Depots, Lowes and Tractor Supply's models and haves seen others on the Internet not sure if they are any good.
Does anyone have recommendations on a good log splitter? I want gas powered and I am looking at splitting 3-4 cords per year of mixed woods, mainly maple, cherry, chestnut, and oak if I am lucky. I would like a horizontal and vertical combo splitter as I sometimes get pretty heavy logs. Any help if much appreciated.

I suspect that many of us are where you were . . . and after researching opinions here by doing search after search I came to a few conclusions.

1) There are only a few real "choices" when it comes to splitters if you're looking for a splitter that is not home-built or built by a couple of guys in a shop. It seems as though the big two most commonly mentioned here are MTD (and the clones) and the Speeco/Huskee models.

2) For most folks, a 22 ton splitter can handle most any wood they throw at it.

3) Regardless of the type, most folks report few problems with their splitters . . . it almost seems as though you can't go wrong regardless of which make you buy.

4) Some splitters have options . . . you may find some of these options desirable (i.e. horizontal and vertical splitting . . . to which I agree incidentally) and other options may not be so desirable (i.e. light kit or fenders) depending on your own needs and desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.