Need recommendation for a small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanBob

Nov 18, 2007
RI
I'm new here (been lurking for a few weeks) and am very glad to have found this group. I'm using a Russo stove with a blower in my home office. It's quite old, as the previous owner's son (now in his 40s) remembers the family using it when he was a kid. Have been burning nearly 24/7 for two weeks now and I really like the stove. It's taking quite a bit of experimenting and fiddling to get a good, efficient burn but I'm making progress. Every room has a ceiling fan so I'm circulating some air around.

The house is one story, about 1550 sf, built in 1945 and not well insulated. My oil bills the past two years were unbelievable.

The stove heats the rear half of the house quite well, but the living/dining area and two other rooms at the front are cold. This is only an issue when I'm entertaining or when my kids visit as I can use just the rear area when alone. I have a great stone fireplace in the living room whose opening is 28" high. I'd like to fit a second stove about halfway into that fireplace for occasional use. It would need to heat around 700-800 sf. I plan to use a flexible liner all the way up to protect the exterior stone chimney.

In shopping around on the net it seems there aren't many choices that would fit in the fireplace opening. The obvious candidate is a VC Intrepid. What other models should I consider for this space?

Thanks.

Jotul 602, F3 CB and QT.

Smaller avalons should fit in with or without legs.

Top loaded like Intrepid may not be usable if you put too far back in, so take that into considerations. Also look at the small models in other lines and you will likely find some that fit.

Yep smaller Avalons wood be good, the Pendelton is what I had just be prepared to cut small pieces of wood. I mean 16 tops or you won't get that much in the stove. It is still a very impressive stove when you can load it up with small pieces. Cut 12-14 inchers and you will be all set. Look at the bottom of my signature for "My Old Flame" and you will see my Avalon. I would get 5 to 7 hour burns with good heat from that little guy. Just once again the frustration is the small pieces you must put in, too much of a problem for me. I you cut your own, VIOLA, you are all set. Set it to 12 to 13 inches and cut away my friend

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.