need seasoned firewood dealer patchogue new york area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to say Julian but finding good dry wood at this time of the year can be difficult at best. The reason is that you can't find good dry firewood for sale at any time of the year. If possible, look for someone who might be selling kiln dried wood.

If at all possible, try to find someone selling white ash as this might be your best attempt. Also, let this be a big lesson for you and then understand why we recommend everyone being 3 years ahead on their wood supply. Wood simply needs time to dry properly.

Reactions: etiger2007
Hate to say it but BWS is probably right. You might get lucky off of CL and you can also try getting some pallets too then mix in any marginal wood you lay your hands on. Wood "bricks" are sold at various locations but that can be pricey.

Aside from that stock up on the bounty Sandy left us!

i agree, I was just browsing CL and saw a good bit of free stuff here...trees, rounds, pallets and lumber...

Don't bother. Better off finding some compressed wood logs (ecobricks from TSC or the equivalent). Pallets or dimensional lumbar will be your best bet otherwise. Seriously, I wouldn't even try to find "seasoned" wood right now--you'll pay more for kiln dried wood than you will for the compressed wood.

Julian, I live on LI also and have found it impossible to find any truly seasoned wood. I live in East Hampton and ocasionally buy wood from a guy in Montauk .He has a lot of wood that has been sitting for awhile , but the only really dry stuff comes from the top and outside of the pile. On the bright side, Sandy has left us with a bounty of free wood, you just need to get out there and grab as much as you can for the future.

Hi Julian, welcome to the forums.

Sadly, the above is true this time of year. I can hook you up for now, to be ready for next year.

For now, try Envi Bricks, or this guy

http://www.lifirewood.com/

Get the fake stuff (eco bricks whatever) for now and start getting firewood for the years to come. Backwoods Savage is 1000% correct get ahead now so getting unseasoned wood dosent matter.

A "seasoned firewood dealer" is easy to find. Now whether he has any seasoned firewood this time of year is a whole nother question. >>

Julian, if you have the time, ability, and inclination, some of the state and county parks on LI allow firewood cutting. It allows them to get rid of the dead trees without having to use their own guys to do it. I would start with Heckscher and Sunken Meadow and go from their. Also, call some local tree guys and see if they would be willing to drop off some rounds. Many of them are swamped right now and dont have the time, space, or manpower to process the stuff into firewood so they are just taking it to the dump.Pretty soon the dumps will start charging again so it pays for them to give it to you rather than pay the dump fee to dispose of it.

True , but as a "newbie" the processing equipment is gonna be a PITA, unless you are JP Got Rocks.

Homes for sale. With second chimney. Ask if you can buy there wood. Try it you'll be pleasantly suprised. Ken

Julian,
I live up the rd from you in Brookhaven Hamlet (just east of Bellport), keep my boat in East Patchogue (Sunset Harbor, the old Dockside 500). I have two GREAT options for you right now if your still looking.

1. A close friend of mine is selling his uncles house up the rd from me. The old man that lived there was saving wood for the end of the world apparently, about 10 cords of very old wood, much of it too old and rotted. BUT, there is alot of good stuff mixed in with it, ready to go. It's all cut and split. FREE!! Send me a pm and I can hook you up with it. I took a few truck loads, and have no more space....

2. I have a number for a guy who has and sells Kiln dried wood. It's 480 a cord or something like that, but GREAT wood.

Wow that kiln dried wood costs over 500 bucks a cord ! I think only JP GotBucks could afford to heat with that stuff. I gagged when the wood guy quoted me 200 a couple of years ago. Its much more cost effective to drop 300 on a decent saw and 50 for a Fiskars. Besides, when you get your own it heats you 4 times, cutting,splitting,stacking,and burning, and you would be suprised how much wood you can process in a short amount of time. Of course if you dont have the physical ability to perform the task all that goes out the window.

With some kiln dried, some envi bricks, and some not so seasoned firewood, one should be able to eek by, with checking the chimney for build up & cleaning as needed.

'Course it'll put a dent in the budget, but still less than the price of heating oil around here.

Heating oil for less just quoted me $3.69 for 200 gallons. I know my house will go through 250 gallons a month in a bad winter (like the one 2 years ago... 20F or less every day for 4 solid months), and it's fairly shored up. That's $830 a month . Times 4 ='s $2500 (round #'s)

Some quick seasoning pine, would be a blessing, but local firewood guys usually don't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.