Need seasoned wood? An offer for hearth.com members

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

My neighbor has been giving me free pine for the last year - about 6 cords worth. So the other day, I finally offered to buy some of his good stuff off of him as a "thank you" and for my own benefit of course.

I got a cord of fully seasoned red oak/pin oak, and about .33 cord of seasoned cherry.

I've known this neighbor for 1.5 years. I've seen this wood stacked off the ground in the back of his yard in good sunlight and air. I've watched it season.

If any hearth.com members need some seasoned wood at this late juncture, I will PM you my neighbors name and contact info. He's selling FULL cords of seasoned oak for $150. He's also got maple and cherry. He can do local deliveries but pick-ups of the wood are welcome.

I know all of it has been split at minimum since last August, if not longer. The oak feels, sounds, and burns great.

He's got maybe 5-6 cords left, so I figured I'd put a special post on here to see if anyone is interested.

Hope that's ok and I hope this helps out a hearth.com who is stuck late in the year and needs some quality wood.

Joe

Oh, just to be clear in case anyone is wondering: No I haven't measured the oak - I don't have an MM. It burns quite well and "knocks" hollow like a baseball bat.

Good price for sure.

Great offer and good price at this time of year...some are getting $200 for oak just split recently around here.

Around here he would be busier than a 1 legged man in a butt kicking contest at that price!

Does he deliver? :)
Some day I'd love to burn a few stove loads of oak.

Might cost a bit more for delivery Dave.

Backwoods Savage said:
Might cost a bit more for delivery Dave.

Yea,
Shipping to Alaska always gets expensive. Don't know why, we only have one road in & it's easy to find. :)

thanks for posting this.

it could really help out someone in need.

pretty sweet giving the gift of warmth.

sounds awesome. I am covered for this year but would be interested next spring if he is still selling. I will likely be buying 2-3 cords in the spring.

Hi Mav,

Shoot me a message in the spring. He's got a couple cords of oak that he downed this summer that he's not selling because they aren't seasoned yet. All c/s/s in the back of his yard.

Glad to help the forum if I can. I've been burning nothing but pine so far this year and most of last, and never burned oak before this week.

HOLY CRAP. Stuff is freaking amazing. It might only have 70% more BTUs, but the way the stove behaves is like it's gone 200% more BTUs.

I've got 5 cords of seasoned pine i'm burning, but now I've got some sweet oak and cherry to mix in there for when I don't want to reload the stove every 60-90 minutes.

PM sent. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.