Need Seasoned Wood Long Island NY Smithtown /Commack area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIT Performance

Nov 29, 2012
Has anyone gotten seasoned wood recently on LI NY. Getting my insert next week and didn't prepare any wood. Also I'm new to inspecting wood for dryness should I purchase a moisture meter and is there any other tips for determining how dry wood is thanks -Rob

Get a moisture meter and a hatchet. Split the wood and check the middle for moisture levels.

Under 25%? I would be looking for 20%. If you are looking to guy you'll be paying a premium and I would be inspecting a bunch of splits .......that I picked out of the pile!

hard to find seasoned firewood here now.

If you like, PM me, and I can set you up so you have firewood ready for next year.

Get what you can and also buy a bunch of pressed sawdust bricks as they will help you be able to burn not-so-seasoned firewood. Get as much wood as you can now and continue to do so, that way you can have good seasoned wood for next year.

Call around, look for signs as you're driving down the road, and ask for seasoned. Call lots of places. There may be some decent wood, but you'll pay a premium.

I am in the same boat as you. I recently pulled the trigger on a Vermont Castings Merrimack, after the oil company charged me $1000 for a fill up. They should be installing 1st week of Jan.
I found well seasoned fire wood at http://harnedbrotherssawmill.com/
I drove down there personally to see what they had. They delivered a true full cord $250. It was wet from laying out, but it should dry out well enough by the time I am ready for it.

Wood should be cheaper in the spring, I plan on stocking up a two year supply then and let it season over the summer
If you managed to find another good source, please share... I am also in Smithtown.

Wood should be cheaper after the holidays... plenty of guys with a lot of firewood now here on the Island.

I agree, get it now, and let it season

$250 seems like alot, but if you're in a bind, get it. Also check out Envi/bio bricks to stretch it out.

Welcome to the forums, John !

Status
Not open for further replies.