Need simple fan control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi All
Burning season is here and as someone predicted a month or so ago the traffic would increase in the boiler room.
And it has,with it comes the unfinished projects.
My house has taken priority,but now we are beginning to get snow,and the temps are staying on the negative side of freezing.So outside work is dependent on weather.
My system is a Econoburn boiler with storage,and I'm looking for a simple way to control the boiler fan after the burn is finished.Last year we would make the trip to the boiler building at night to shut off the fan after the burn.Looking to improve on that.
I know this has been discussed here before.
I'm bringing it back up because I'm electrically challenged.
I'm hoping someone can give me a simple solution with a list of parts required.We live 100 miles from any hardware,or any stores period.I will have an electrician coming to finish the wiring in our house so i will have his help for wiring.
Thanks for the help
Thomas

I have a Econoburn 200 indoor. I am using a Intermatic count down timer. It was very simple to install.

My Econoburn has the newer style control. It also has a simple toggle switch on the front of the fan enclosure to turn the fan on and off.

The fan is wired to the toggle with simple wire connectors. I wired the countdown timer with 12" leads with the appropriate connectors to match the existing connectors.

The switch is in a metal electrical box that I mounted to the front of the fan enclosure. Separate the connectors for the power wire going from switch to the fan, plug the line connection from the timer to the toggle switch, connect the load connection from the timer to the fan and you are done.

The timer can be turned to desired time and you can still just flip the toggle switch to stop fan if you need to reload. It used it all last winter. It is nice to be able to load and go to work or bed and not have the fan running after the fire is out.

The Econoburn controller has the capability to use a thermal probe to shut down fan, at this point the timer works well enough that I have not installed a probe.

gg

I still don't get it you spend all that money for a boiler and you have to shut the fan off by hand at the end of the burn?

I still don't get it you spend all that money for a boiler and you have to shut the fan off by hand at the end of the burn?

Some might say, I still don't get why you would spend that much money on a boiler from eastern Europe, what if the importer goes under will I be able to get needed parts? Who will fix any problems I might encounter?

Your dealer troll posts get really annoying. There are many boilers out there that are equally as good or better than your Vigas brand give it a rest already! You seem to be one of the few dealers here that knock others, and put yours on a pedastal.

gg

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Some might say, I still don't get why you would spend that much money on a boiler from eastern Europe, what if the importer goes under will I be able to get needed parts? Who will fix any problems I might encounter?

Your dealer troll posts get really annoying. There are many boilers out there that are equally as good or better than your Vigas brand give it a rest already! You seem to be one of the few dealers here that knock others, and put yours on a pedastal.

gg

Well said.

But don't forget about how helpful 'effecta boiler user' posts were.

First you have no idea how much i spent.
Second you don't know my system,there might be a reason i shut it off this way now.
I'm looking for ideas not your opinion on how my money was spent.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.