Need some advice about inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert W

Nov 7, 2010
eastern South Carolina
I'm interested in installing a new wood burning insert into an existing fireplace. We live in South Carolina in a 20 year old house. Don't really use the fireplace much, but we heat with propane which is pretty expensive. I would like to put in an insert, but have questions about lining the chimney. A local builder who has a couple of inserts and just sticks them in with no connections (and no issues afterward). The guy at the fireplace store suggests a short direct connect that goes through the damper and just up to the tiles. The chimney sweep wants to put in a complete liner at a pretty high cost. I very quickly get to a point of diminishing returns. I would really like to go the middle route here. Keep in mind it's SC, so winters are relatively mild and short. Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

My own take . . . it only takes one fire one time to level your house . . . or one incidence of carbon monoxide poisoning to kill everyone in the family.

Me . . . I would do it the right way the first time . . . meaning go with the full liner vs. the slammer type install suggested by the local builder or even the "middle road" suggested by the fireplace store. Then again, I'm a little bit anal about anything in my house that is capable of burning down the house or killing me in my sleep.

I went through the same thought process of price vice getting by...in the end, I installed the free stove I got with a full liner. So the free stove cost $1500. But I can now sleep well (although I an in Kabul now) knowing I am as safe as I can be. This site will cost you money because it demands safety...which means a full liner. You can do without - my Dad has for years...and neighbors for decades...but for me, $1500 was worth sleeping without a care.

Some other points to keep in mind:

What will your home insurance think about the install w/o a full liner?
The draft is usually better with a full liner.
What do you do when regulations change down the road and a full liner will be required?

Greetings Robert. If the chimney throat is large the insert may draft very poorly, especially if this is a one story flue. What was the quote from the dealer? Is this a project that you would be willing to undertake yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.