Need some advice bring my woodstove up to code..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryBill

Feb 16, 2012
Ohio
Hello everyone... I was looking for some information on bring my woodstove up to code and found a posting a similar situation figured this maybe a good place to look for some advice.

I moved into my house last year and this has been the first winter. When getting my insurance setup they informed me the woodstove is not to code many different ways after an inspection. It was a nice surprise that none of the other inspections ever brought them up when I was purchasing. I have included some pictures...

The many code violations include
- Improper base/floor protection (the thin painted board isn't enough of course)
- Corners of woodburner closer than 36" (currently about 28")
- Improper connection to chimney (not a clay tile thimble)

I was reading through the code book and have concerns if the current setup can be brought up to code at all. In one picture you can see the homemade metal thimble that goes into a brick chimney located on the outside of the house. The connector is somewhere between 5 and 5-1/2 inches from the drywall and reading through NAMIC code and my understanding is that 6" is the minimum with some wall protection. Would there be a way to fix to to code? I'm assuming anything that may bring this up to code would be some type of wall protection that would eliminate the distance the burner is to the walls.

The feet of the woodburner are over 2" so the documentation says it requires 4" hollow masonry laid to provide air circulation through the layer and covered with a 24 gauge of sheet metal. If there any good ways to do this what would look good? Does it have to be metal? or could it be covered with masonry of some sort? and do the hollow cavities need to be laid horizontal? and seen from the front?

This is a project house so i hope to do this to bring it to code but also make it look nice as I will be re-drywalling this room in the next year and putting down hardwood flooring.

I appreciate everyone's time and any assistance anyone can provide!

Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4253.jpg
    IMG_4253.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4259.jpg
    IMG_4259.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 270
Welcome to the forum Bill. You have a King circulator I loved mine, the clearances are somewhat different than a freestanding wood stove. Do you have the manual? If not I'll see if I can find my old one. Someone will have to help you on the pipe I'm green in that department.

Dairyman said:
Welcome to the forum Bill. You have a King circulator I loved mine, the clearances are somewhat different than a freestanding wood stove. Do you have the manual? If not I'll see if I can find my old one. Someone will have to help you on the pipe I'm green in that department.

That would be great Dairyman. I don't have the manual for it and have been hard pressed to find much line about these stoves. Any details you could provide on clearances would be great!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.