Need some advice on putting in a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petscanning

Feb 8, 2011
oklahoma
I don't know if I can do this but I have a gas fireplace and I would like to buy a wood stove and run the flu into the gas pipe. I'm looking at the the Jotul f 100 http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-100-Nordic-QT/ for its small size and height. The pipe on the fireplace is 10 inches if memory serves me right so its very big. can I run my flu into and just attach it there and seal it or can I run the 6" pipe up the existing pipe halfway or all the way to the top. Sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

Nice stove. Doesn't pack a lot of BTU punch - what are your plans for using the stove? Supplemental heat? I do not know about whether the material of the gas pipe can handle the hot flue gases of wood heat. But, you might have problems with creosote and perhaps sluggish draft running a 10" diameter flue vs. the recommended 6" flue. I'm guessing as others chime in, the recommendations will be to NOT used the existing flue and reline with a proper 6" liner. Cheers!

Do not make the mistake of not doing your research. First determine what you need this stove to do [give your house sq ft and full time or part time heater] then find stove to fit bill. After that research [here] what you need for a chimney. So many people just jump in and waste their money. You want to get this right.
Do not buy anything until all areas are sorted out. Good luck.

More than likely - your existing 10 in flue is not rated for wood stove temps and could not be used as you are thinking. You may have to run an insulated 6 inch liner inside the existing flue from the wood stove to the chimney cap. Not just half way or an elbow into the old flue.

Consult a professional to look at your set up and get a permit and inspection for safety sake. Also for insurance purposes.

You'll want the chimney flue to match the specifications of the stove to allow the stove to draft and perform as it was desiqned.
Good luck.

Thanks. I was thinking I could run the pipe up the middle so it would be basically double insulated. I'm just looking for supplemental heat not the whole house. Thanks for everyones replys

petscanning said:
Thanks. I was thinking I could run the pipe up the middle so it would be basically double insulated. I'm just looking for supplemental heat not the whole house. Thanks for everyones replys

Highly doubt, do you have gas logs --with no glass in front--or a gas insert that is a sealed unit with a glass front?

you need to find out if the existing chimney is a b-vent or direct vent (tube within a tube)-- eitherway I am almost certain you will not be able to do what you are planning.

As above, you need to get all the research done prior to spending a dime. ie different stoves have different diameter chimney requirements, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.