Need Some advice on what to get...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
IMO, there is no perfect multi-use tool here. :long:

I think you are right...tractor + ZTR is looking like best option. My wallet hurts.

One other option is to get a Swisher pull behind mower, on my tractor that gives me 8 feet of cut, saves a lot of time, cost a grand. I then take it off and do the trimming with the tractor. Cut my mowing time in half. I would never pull the swisher behind the UTV, to cumbersome, torky, and likes to rip up grass, and lots of should work. My tractor has power-steering much easier.

4 wheeler a toy only ! think again I use mine all the time to haul wood and plow snow works great and a heck of alot faster than moving wood with a wheelbarrow plus it can pull a good size trailer thru the snow. I have 2 1/2 acres ( not near enough for a 4wheeler I hear ) and use a JD 48" deck to cut grass about 1 1/4 acres of yard with lots and lots of trees over 100 in the yard and grass takes about 1 1/2 hours but it does not plow well enough to do 300' of drive with 250' being gravel and cannot pull a trailer thru any mud or snow.
The 4wheeler would work great pulling a mower in open areas but you would need to have some turf tires for the summer and switch to the traction tires for the winter.
The one vehicle that would work well for you on both counts is a compact tractor the Kubotas are great but very pricey my neighbor has a cub cadet he is very happy with and I am sure there are some other brands in used form that would work and with a FEL you can clear the snow back to your barn.
I tried to find a compact tractor and found I could buy the w 4wheeler and the JD tractor both used for far less money so that's what I have for now.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I have two choices for snow plowing: 1) 4WD pickup 2)4WD tractor with FEL

Trust me, I will take the truck EVERY time (5 times as fast, 3 times as warm listen to the radio, drink your coffee, yada,yada,yada)

If you do everything 'by hand' now a/k/a wheelbarrow, you are going to LOVE the FEL :cheese: Whoever invented hydraulics was a genius!

But if you take the tractor in the woods, yer gonna want ag tires. Unfortunatly Ag tires will destroy yer lawn.

IMO, there is no perfect multi-use tool here. But there is one that is really just a toy. The 4-wheeler :long:

Heck yeah. I plow ~3/4 mile of drives with an old Ford with front and rear blades. It gets cold when you're out early in the morning before work with the wind blowing and the temperature in the single digits. If I ever find a cheap plow, I'm puttin it on my 4wd wood hauler!

Look for a 318, 420 or 430 deere garden tractor. They are older, have assorted attachments and are great tractors. They retain their value unless you blow an engine. If you buy one of these, you could have it the rest of your life. You could use any of these for mowing, tilling, grading, snow blowing, snow plowing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.