Need Some Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jono6716

Jan 6, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
So.. I just tore the brick off the wall tonight to get ready for the new stove install and had a couple questions. I have the Drolet HT2000 on order and plan to install a hearth and redo the terrible brick on the back wall. My house is a bi-level and the stove is in the basement so the upper half of the wall is drywall and the lower half is the concrete foundation. I plan to cut the pergo floor out and put a nice sized hearth in. The floor is also concrete. My questions are.. Should I install .5" Durock over the concrete floor as well as on the foundation wall and over the drywall to give me a nice surface to work with or just over the drywall? I plan to install veneer stone on the wall and tile on the floor as the hearth. Also, I was wondering if I should go with 45's for the stove pipe instead of 90s. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0313 (2).JPG
    IMG_0313 (2).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
No need to put the cement board on top of the cement floor. I think I would remove the drywall in that area and replace it with cement board. How tall is the chimney that the stove will connect to? Is it masonry or insulated metal pipe?

Reactions: Babaganoosh
No need to put the cement board on top of the cement floor. I think I would remove the drywall in that area and replace it with cement board. How tall is the chimney that the stove will connect to? Is it masonry or insulated metal pipe?

Chimney is close to 25ft. Old stove was 8" pipe just venting into masonry chimney. I'm most likely going to run a 6" liner in the chimney and come through the wall.

Chimney is close to 25ft. Old stove was 8" pipe just venting into masonry chimney. I'm most likely going to run a 6" liner in the chimney and come through the wall.
Good plan.

The current drywall over the foundation is around 2.25" out from the foundation wall I exposed. Any idea how I can make up that difference so my stone veneer is somewhat level with the current drywall? Would concrete board be the only option? How could I affix that.. I would like to get the stone even with my current wall in the basement. Thx

The current drywall over the foundation is around 2.25" out from the foundation wall I exposed. Any idea how I can make up that difference so my stone veneer is somewhat level with the current drywall? Would concrete board be the only option? How could I affix that.. I would like to get the stone even with my current wall in the basement. Thx

I would consider gluing 0.5" urethane foamboard onto the foundation and screwing the cement board directly through that into the foundation with masonary anchors like tapcons. 0.5" of urethane board plus 0.5" of cement board leaves you with 1.25" to install 1.25" veneer stone in- so it would stick out a just a little (because of the thinset).

Note that I have no idea if this is legal or if it's a fire hazard in a stove surround application, but it sounds good to have a lil insulation back there.

Roxul Comfortboard IS is safe for heat and available in various thicknesses including 2".

Reactions: Ashful
Cool! Thx for the tips guys. Any other advice on how to mount the concrete board over the foundation wall? Not sure Screwing into the foundation wall will work too well with the comfort board behind it. Metal studs turned sideways? I was thinking 1.25" metal studs mounted to the foundation wall with some comfort board in between and hardy board over top. Possibly 2 layers which would give me my 2.25". May put trim around the veneer stone which is why I'm okay with the extra space of the veneer stone.

Last edited:
Yes, metal studs would also work.

Yes on the dual 45's. Always better than a 90, provided you have the room for it.

Any other ideas how to make up 2.25" without mounting to the foundation. Mounting to concrete is never fun.. Also, I wouldn't need a 1" air gap behind the stove would I as its non combustible behind where the stove will be.. In this case is the clearance 10" still from the back of the stove (Drolet HT2000) as the manual says? Sorry about all the questions.. First time doing this.. Maybe I will just thinset over the foundation and put hardy board on the thinset and then thinset over the hardy board with the veneer stone. My only concern is too much weight.. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.