Need some advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
We are planning to replace our deck with a room addition. I want to get a freestanding stove put in this room. The dealer I like to deal with sells Jotul and PE. We have a PE insert and love it.
My question is. What is the biggest difference in a steel and cast iron stove? My wife really likes the Olso in Ivory. I am liking the PE SUMMIT. Need to know the main pros and cons of each.

MICHAEL H said:
We are planning to replace our deck with a room addition. I want to get a freestanding stove put in this room. The dealer I like to deal with sells Jotul and PE. We have a PE insert and love it.
My question is. What is the biggest difference in a steel and cast iron stove? My wife really likes the Olso in Ivory. I am liking the PE SUMMIT. Need to know the main pros and cons of each.

If you don't mind my saying so, try reposting this with a better subject line. Almost every poster here "needs some advice" on something, and you'll get more specific attention from the folks who know the subject in question if you say in the subject line what you need advice on.

That said, I have a soapstone, so I'm not in a good position to advise you, but from what I've read here, there's not a huge difference between steel and cast, except that steel maybe heats up and cools down a bit faster than cast. The folks with each kind love them. I think you're better off looking for a stove that will suit your needs and not worrying about whether it's steel or cast. There really aren't, from what I read, any major pros or cons to one over the other.

Try using the search box for the stoves you're considering and see what discussions turn up, and check the user reviews which are accessible through the main site, as well.

Both are good stoves, regardless of the final choice. However, the Oslo is 2 cu ft and the Summit is 3 cu ft. That's a significant difference, perhaps more than the fact that they are made of different materials. A PE Classic or Spectrum is a closer comparison to the Oslo. How many total square feet will be heated by the stove?

The Summit is not like some steel stoves in that it's a bit heavier and it's jacketed which makes it less radiant than some stoves, but gives it tighter installation clearances. It still puts out the heat, but in a more convective manner. The Oslo is not jacketed and will radiate more heat from the sides. The other difference is the firebox shape. The PE firebox is deeper, almost square which allows loading both E/W or N/S. The Oslo has a significantly better ash collection system. I would pass on the PE ash pan. The similarity is that they both can be ordered in ivory. :) As for looks, well... your wife has good taste.

MICHAEL H said:

Comparing Stove Materials, Cast Iron, Steel, Soapstone, Tile, Firebrick and more...
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/comparing_stove_materials

MICHAEL H said:

Well everyone else has pretty much summed up the difference in the size of the stoves and steel vs. cast iron . . . so here's my take.

Pros of the Oslo: Your wife likes it.
Cons of the Oslo: You prefer the Summit.

Pros of the Summit: You like it.
Cons of the Summit: Your wife prefers the Oslo.

If the Oslo fits your spacing needs . . . go with the Oslo . . . your wife will be happy . . . and in the long run you'll be happy.

If the Oslo does not fit your spacing needs . . . go with the Summit . . . and explain to your wife that the Oslo is too small of a stove . . . and that unfortunately Jotul does not make a larger stove . . . even though you know they do make the Firelight. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.