need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i have next years wood already stacked and seasoning single row..most been stacked and split since last year....im tight on space..what i wanna do is bring in 2 more years worth and stack it 4 or 5 rows deep with no space in between....think this would be ok?

Reactions: ScotO
that would be fine, i do the same thing...just make sure once its burning year comes due that you spread it out if necessary. I am very tight for space in our yard so that is what I do and it works just fine.

Mine is stacked tight 12' wide over half the length of the stack, 8' wide for the rest of it. As long as you have a couple years seasoning time, you'll be fine. My wood gets 2 to 3 years to season, I've never had a problem.......

2012-09-02_12-48-41_629.jpg

Mine is stacked tight 12' wide over half the length of the stack, 8' wide for the rest of it. As long as you have a couple years seasoning time, you'll be fine. My wood gets 2 to 3 years to season, I've never had a problem.......

View attachment 74140

Oh my, those are some nice stacks! I only wish we had the space to habor that much fuel... Lots of hard work in those rows.

nice stacks scotty....how do keep track of that stack....does the newer wood always go towards the back

nice stacks scotty....how do keep track of that stack....does the newer wood always go towards the back
Actually I divide it into thirds. Last year, I used wood out of the middle, that was the oldest wood (3yrs), this year, I'll be taking it off of the end nearest in the picture. Next year will be the other end. I fill in the empty spots as required. There's around 25 cord in that stack, hoping to get an accurate measurement on how much wood I use in a winter this year (if we actually GET a winter this year)!!

I would wait til the leaves are gone and the stove is up and running. Replace what I use and keep the stacks as they are.

I tried the 5 rows deep and had bad luck with it. The wood in the middle after 2 years wasn't much better than when I put it there. The area doesn't get the best wind so I'm sure that was a contributing factor for my set up. I now try not to stack more than two rows wide.

i have next years wood already stacked and seasoning single row..most been stacked and split since last year....im tight on space..what i wanna do is bring in 2 more years worth and stack it 4 or 5 rows deep with no space in between....think this would be ok?

I see no problem with this except I'd like to see it one more year in the stack. We've stacked wood in 3 rows and up to around 20 rows tight together. Never had a problem with it. The last several years we've mostly stuck to the 3 rows together and then in October we move the winter's supply into the barn. It works out that 3 rows deep in the barn works out very well and doesn't take that much space.

As for how to keep track of the wood, we simply stack in a different spot every year. This year might be an exception though on which wood to burn. We should probably burn more of the wood which was cut in 2008-2009 but I still have some from 2009-2010 that I'd like moved. So, we may burn some of that or may sell more of it.

I stack 2 - 3 rows deep with no problem. My wood seasons at least 2 years. I date the end of splits on each face of the stacks with a felt tip marker.....only takes a few minutes and lasts the 2 - 3 years it takes to season it.

2012 Done.jpg Wood dated.jpg 2012 Done 6.jpg

Actually I divide it into thirds. Last year, I used wood out of the middle, that was the oldest wood (3yrs), this year, I'll be taking it off of the end nearest in the picture. Next year will be the other end. I fill in the empty spots as required. There's around 25 cord in that stack, hoping to get an accurate measurement on how much wood I use in a winter this year (if we actually GET a winter this year)!!

Scotty if we keep getting winters like last year you got a lifetime supply there

Yes that is what I do - it should be fine.

I like your plan.
That way you are a few years ahead.
The wood will be fine but not season well.

It will be a little extra work but you have to manage your wood with the conditions you have.

After you stack up the single row of seasoning wood to be burned next year,
replace it with the 4 -5 row deep stacked wood .
It will dry out & be ready for the next burn season. Get a rotation going. That way you are always ahead & have dry wood ready to go.

Some extra work but you'd be way ahead all the time, just some re-stacking work so it seasons well. ;)

Reactions: ScotO
I date the end of splits on each face of the stacks with a felt tip marker...
If I did that and the stack fell over like some of mine have, I might be searching for a while to find those logs... ;lol

If I did that and the stack fell over like some of mine have, I might be searching for a while to find those logs... ;lol
Just keep watching how Dennis does it and they won't fall over ==c Then again, you could just mark up more ends so maybe you could find one;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.