need some answers, alot of them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEARNING HOW

Oct 25, 2008
MID TN
new member here, looking for help. i have an earth stove, wood burning, free standing. putting it in a shop with concrete floor and metal walls and roof with thin insulation. need to know if it is best to run pipe straight up and out the roof or elbow it through the wall and then run pipe up outside, also what kind of pipe do i use, insulated or regular, how high above the roof line, what all will i need, and about how much will it cost. thanks a bunch...........

through the roof or through the wall there are advantages and drawbacks with both. if you go through the ceiling it will most likely be cheaper because you can run cheaper black stove pipe to the roof then switch to insulated class A, you will also get more radiant heat as the stovepipe is inside. but it will be more difficult to clean. through the wall. you run stove pipe to the wall then insulated chimney pipe all the way up so its probably more expensive. but you will put a T cleanout so you can easily clean the pipe. it really depends on the setup is it easy to go through your roof? is the pitch of the roof extreme or relatively flat? if its on the flat side its nothing to go up there with a brush.
as for what type of pipe either double wall or single wall black stovepipe untill you breach a wall then you run class A.
as for the height, on a completely flat roof you must be at least 3 feet, and if its pitched, 2 feet above the point at which you are 10 feet away from the roof.
cost. it depends on how much class A you need if its a basic install or a bit tricky. if its basic you can get selkirk's supervent line at lowes, the through the ceiling kit is 150 and the class A is about $20 a foot all together you could get away with only spending $300-$350 if you do it yourself. if you get it professionally done and their are unforeseen unconventional obstacles it could be $1200 or more.

2 space buildings near me both have stoves (mostly for burning pallets), pipes go straight up.

There's a animal "shelter" down two blocks and thier pipe goes straight up, too.
What they burn every Tuesday doesn't smell too good, though.

Like north of 60 said. If you keep the pipe inside, the smoke and gasses won't cool as fast so less creosote problems. Plus, you still get heat from all that stovepipe that is inside. However, the through-the-wall works also. In our setup, the through the wall works best and we have no trouble with it. In fact, we didn't even have to clean the chimney last year. Go with what works best for your situation.

Dont know bout your area but here the pipe has to be 2ft higher than anything with in 10ft of pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.