1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need some Basic info

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dolores57, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolores57

dolores57 New Member

I have a fireplace that I believe is called a 0 clearance. Purchased from Home depot,metal lined with firebrick. Am I right is that what this useless thing is called? I need to know can I put a woodburning fireplace insert in this? I would imagine the fire box is going to be too small for most inserts?? The exsisting pipe is 8" and I am under the impression that I will need to reline with 6" stainless. Please bring me up to speed so I can start heating with wood. thankyou dolores

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heatxchanger

heatxchanger New Member

Dolores, you are correct.

I am assuming that your existing zero-clearance, pre-fab fireplace was designed for burning wood. You may have a tough time finding an insert that fits into your existing zero-clearance, pre-fab fireplace. Perhapos others can recommed a small insert. As you mentioned, you will also need to most likely replace the flu with a 6" one.

Have you considered taking the whole pre-fab unit out and replacing it with something like the Lennox Brentwood?

Take care.
  3. dolores57

dolores57 New Member

Thankyou so much for your reply. So I am on the right track. At least so far. I have been talking with another fellow Warren on the forum who bought a Osburn that fits in my fireplace. He seems to be having really good luck heating his house with it so far. There is nothing like hearing some first hand experience . I am checking them out and the price sure is good. So anyway I have moved up from being dumb as a post to just mildly stupid when it comes to understanding all this fireplace/wood burning stove stuff........thank god for this forum d
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.